Protecting my new transporter trailer - wheelclamp?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A very loud alarm in the vicinity of the trailer is the cheapest and most effective deterrant, a friend of mine used to have one protecting his lawn mower workshop.

Peter
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I have a friend who had a twin axle caravan which was kept at a secure caravan storage, it got stolen ! it had a insurance approved wheel lock i think it covered the wheel,it was cut off with accetlyn, the caravan was recovered,with melted tyres i think it also had a tracker.
Caravans have chassis numbers etc which helps recovery which most car traillers dont have.
My personal opinion is that wheel clamps are good but it will only ever slow a persistant theif.
By the sounds of it you keep the trailer in a remote place.
can you block the trailler in with cars ? or as suggested take the wheels off when not in use as you can get quite a good winter wheel for caravans which has a locking plate that goes over the wheel nuts.
I think any thing suggested will end up a faff for you every time you want to use it. all because of theifing vermon :evil:
Goodluck
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
nuriko

Post by nuriko »

SPAM
airah18

Post by airah18 »

I've heard about wheel clamp from some of my friends and they are using this for security purposes for their trailers. But I haven't had one. I use master lock and I think this is better.
Last edited by airah18 on 10 Nov 2010, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

imperial21 wrote: Caravans have chassis numbers etc which helps recovery which most car traillers dont have.

My personal opinion is that wheel clamps are good but it will only ever slow a persistant theif.
Most trailers have chassis numbers as well as long as they aren't a home built concoction. All Ifor Williams, Bateson, Brian James, Indespension etc etc. will have a number cut into the chassis.

I agree with you that you'll only slow a thief down. Our trailer has a hitch lock covering the hitch, and is blocked in by a van and two cars. We've certainly wised up a bit since we lost a £4.5k flatbed!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
ifred

Post by ifred »

I suggest you connect it to the mains by a long lead with a switch that when its moved say 5 inches switch is tripped goes live on mains :birthday:
Like to see them pinch it then :lazer:

I really think very very loud siren is probably deter them the most with the best lock to delay them. Once the siren goes of the noise will deter them more than anything.
A friend did this recently with his house which is in a remote location only he put the alarm box inside the house. As they couldn't see he had an alarm when they tripped it they didn't stay long enough to collect any of his goods
Much better than the alarm outside no-one took any notice 8-[
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

ifred wrote:I suggest you connect it to the mains by a long lead with a switch that when its moved say 5 inches switch is tripped goes live on mains :birthday:
Like to see them pinch it then :lazer:

I really think very very loud siren is probably deter them the most with the best lock to delay them. Once the siren goes of the noise will deter them more than anything.
A friend did this recently with his house which is in a remote location only he put the alarm box inside the house. As they couldn't see he had an alarm when they tripped it they didn't stay long enough to collect any of his goods
Much better than the alarm outside no-one took any notice 8-[
Friend of mine has alarm sirens throughout her house that are so loud it is impossible to remain in the house once they are tripped. Bleeding ears ensue :)
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Andrew,

All the advise you have been given is good but are you aware of the new security which is now being fitted direct to farm machinery. The pack is dirty cheap compared to the price of replacement etc.

If you wish I can dig out all the info at work and give you and a website to look at. The farm machinery kit is about £40- £50.

Unfortunately I am giving you this info in may official capacity
:!: :wink:

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Problem with the trailer's stored location is it's remoteness and it's limited
electricity supply. I like the ideas of deafening or japping any perps mind... :evil:

May look inocuous but it's better in many ways to my stolen one and the same
flatbed size although it did cost twice as much to buy too :(:

cannot open the bonnet once a car is loaded under the tyre rack mind. :roll:

Sounds good Kenny. What is in this farmyard kit - a pet venomous snake?

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Before anyone mentions the fact the Xantia is underweight to tow cars
on the trailer I may just add that it only collected the trailer as the original
tow car was thieved with my last trailer and a passenger sat on it and another
Citroen is being pressed into service to carry out tow duties. :(

Andrew
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Having seen pictures of you towing before i thought you were rather flexible with the towing capacity anyway!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I reckon the deafening one is a winner Andrew, a powerful siren actually mounted on the trailer would be effective, I'm sure you can get a 12v one and you wouldn't need a very big battery, one on the premises as well would do no harm, it could be triggered by a trip wire or inertia switch.

Peter

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-boat-SIREN-Lo ... 588a9a406a

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CAR-ALARM-12V ... 5d2b95c60c
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well there are wheel clamps, and then there the type used by, and approved by the Police.

I previously bought the same specification clamp, and I have had it some years, I actually bought it at the time when the "hot hatch models" were even more prone to attention from the "tea leafs."

Doing the research for this post it was difficult to find said product, due to the original manufacturer not having it on the web site, they are Lionweld Kennedy. It appears they have changed their product range, and sold the rights to the Wheelok.

W'HEELOK@
THE WORLD'S PREMIER WHEEL CLAMP
EFFECTIVE IN BOTH PARKING CONTROL AND ANTI THEFT ROLES
LlONWELD • USED BY PROFESSIONALS
WHliat.\K" WORLDWIDE
Lionweld Kennedy Ltd .HIGH QUAUTY
Marsh Road, • VERSA T1l.E
Middlesbrough • UK MANUFACTURED
Cleveland TS 1 5JS
Tel: (06421245151 • RANGE OF MODELS
Telex:587279lWAK G
Fax: (0642) 224710 Call Now (06421 245151)

So after calling them I was told to check with another company, and now I have found out where it is available from, and their web site shows the details of the product, this company is called Hanson.

This is their web site, the Authority, and Police models are listed as clamps no 5 & 6 on the Wheelok page, with something that makes them even more secure called Lokchoks, and they fit into the well of the rim to make it even more difficult to remove.

These are not like the crappy large plate with a long chain on them, these will secure your car/property, I have had personal experience of how good they are.

Also I went out one night, and having it with me I decided to use it, what with parking in a built up area, and a couple thought I had been clamped, and expressed concern that I had been clamped, at which point I then proved it was mine by unlocking it, and their concern/worry changed to being very pleased that something that in the wrong hands is the thing that all of us hate, (being clamped) but as an extra security measure works very well for the vehicle owner.

Note...... If it had the right decal on it it would have been even more so thought of as the official one, and if I had been parked incorrectly, I was not though, then the clamping vehicle would have thought I was already done/clamped and not touched my car.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi andmcit

Well there is quite a selection of ideas mentioned in this thread, are you going for any particular one, or a combination of several together?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I appreciate all your advice, links and recommendations and for me this
shows the true value and benefit of this forum. I like the idea of exploring
a klaxon but a sufficient power supply will be an issue. At present I have
the wheelclamp I mentioned at the outset which is this design:

If anyone is aware of a weakness on these I fancy adapting it with my MIG!

and have also just purchased this hitch guard that covers the release handle
when the trailer is parked on or off a tow vehicle:

Whis is reassuringly brick outhouse in it's construction.

The trailer is currently hidden in a tight spot behind a robust metal sliding
door and x3 immobilised XM's in a row so hopefully that should deter the
scumbags. Here's hoping. :(

Andrew