Suspension clonk

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Suspension clonk

Post by davewithington »

Since I've had my Xantia - 1993 "L" Hydractive sinker - I've had a clonk on the front suspension, most noticeable when I come out of my gates onto the unsurfaced lane to the avenue.

So, I changed the wishbones, as the bushes were soft - some improvement
New bottom ball joints and drop links - some improvement.

Changed the strut tops, clonk completely gone.

Don't know why, can only assume that the rubber inside the mounting was breaking up, they weren't too rusty.

Damn glad I've changed them, easy job, took about an hour to do both sides. Cost £108 plus VAT each. I can now use the full cornering performance secure in the knowledge that my front wheels will remain pointed in the right direction
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That was worrying Dave. Sounds like one of the tops was near to failing :twisted:

Maybe that clonk is a good warning...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

The top wasn't rusted out by any means, but the rubber had started to flake off.

If anyone is concerned about their strut tops, buy now.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

Some photos

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I'd be interested to know what the clonk sounds like. My front end makes a strange squeak over speed bumps, and at certain angles of steering there's a strange vibration throughout the car, very odd!
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

strange as in the photo the rubber seems to be perfectly bonded, i have to admit though the xm gives this muted knock/thud when both wheels hit a bump, i was thinking its roll bar bushes but then with the hubs off vigerously pushing and pulling on the struts produces a thudding noise from the strut head yet the rubber is perfectly bonded and there is no rust at all.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............