Xantia HDi diesel filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia HDi diesel filter

Post by RichardW »

How many pipes can one filter need??? There are about 8 on the filter on mine...and it is leaking somewhere. Not sure if it is the filter body or one of the pipes. How do they come off - press in the little coloured tab and the pull the pipe off? Have not changed the filter since I have had the car (ahem 60k miles.... :oops: ) so was thinking maybe as a first step I'd just fit a new complete filter housing and see if that fixes it (I also have the rattly noise at switch on which that should help with too).
Richard W
carpysmith
My Cars:

Post by carpysmith »

hi richard,
changed fuel filter on my xantia hdi a coupla weeks back, only had 2 or maybe 3 pipes on it (cant remember without goin outside and checking) you do indeed press coloured tab and just pull pipe off (piece of cake!!)
top comes off by turning the top quarter of a turn (anti clockwise i fink) using spanner or socket on hexagonal bit on top.
there is an o,ring and springy washer under lid (maybe leaking from there?) mines a bosch filter housing by the way.
hope that helps!!
regards steve (aka carpysmith)

1999 xantia 2.0 hdi sx estate
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

From memory there seems to be two types.

As above pipes just come off press clip in and remove them carefully.

The type with the electric plug on, I found easier to remove the couple of 10mm bolts and take the whole housing off to change the filter, the earlier one you can just turn the lid in situ.

Change seals on lid etc you get with the new filter, to avoid leaks. There is a springy washer in the lid yes.

Push pipes back on and you will hear them click. Attempt to gently pull them off to confirm they are securely attached.

If you do not have a pump primer bulb when you have finished:

Switch ignition on, do not attempt to start. Wait about 5 seconds then turn ignition off, wait about 10 seconds, then repeat this about 3 or 4 times to 'prime' filter.

If you have a primer bulb, simply squeeze that a few times instead.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Cheers, was releasing the pipes I wasn't sure about. There appear to be 5 pipes on the filter - feed, 2 feeds onto the pump from the top, and a flow and return to the thermostat housing. Have ordered a new filter housing complete from GSF so hope that will fix it. If not, then the pipes are only about £10 each, so if one has to be replaced then not too bad. Although, getting to the other end of the ones at the thermostat housing looks :twisted: :twisted: Mine is Bosch with the in tank pump - I can hear it priming no problem.... :lol:
Richard W
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

They can sometimes be a sod to get off.

One of the spiggots that the pipes go onto broke on my brothers HDi fuel filter housing.

My 406 failed it's MOT on a Diesel leak last week, if you remove the drain screw from the bottom of the housing, there's an O ring on it, a new O ring solved my leak and it sailed it's retest the next morning.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There are lots of pipes going to my HDis filter, ive changed a few now without any problems - the filter not the housing. I changed mine about 6 months ago, but recently it developed fuel leak, i nipped up the filter housing which stopped the leak, i can't have had it tight enough, though it did last until now.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Job done this afternoon - not too bad, but filthy horrible as diesel filters usually are! Looks to have cured the leak, will see when it's been for a run. Might have been the drain spigot, but the O rig looks intact. Old filter looks pretty manky, but then it has been on for >60k miles....! The design is p**s poor really, with the 'sump' on the clean side, so all the rubbish falls into it when you take the filter element out, and you're relying on the seal at the bottom and top the keep the rubbish out.
Richard W