Xantia - Hot oil smell inside

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skog77
My Cars:

Xantia - Hot oil smell inside

Post by skog77 »

I have a Xantia 2.0i Automatic,

recently, when the engine is warm and i am idling in intersections or parking after a trip, i get the smell of warm oil inside the car. There does not appear to be any oil loss, no water in the gearbox or engine oil, and i cannot smell any oil in the coolant either.

When i look around the engine, there seems to be more than just a little "sweat" around the spark plugs though. I´m thinking i may have a small leak somewhere, but i cannot see where its coming from.

Any ideas?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The cam cover gasket is in the habit of leaking, though usually at the back.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

It is possible that oil is dripping on or near the exhaust pipe. that causes quite a smell.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

atr wrote:It is possible that oil is dripping on or near the exhaust pipe. that causes quite a smell.
That's the most likely and the cam cover is the prime suspect.

get the car up on ramps and have a look at the back of the engine. It might be a tad damp and give the game away...

A weepy diff oil seal can also spray back on the exhaust and cat and give rise to a smell.

Not sure what burning LT71141 smells but I do know the fresh stuff reeks of cat's pee and since changing my gearbox oil today, everything smells of cat, even the curry I'm eating for dinner :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Don't ignore it for too long, I had a Xantia 2.0i catch fire from the oil dribbling onto the exhaust manifold. Fortunately I stopped when I saw more smoke than usual, and managed to extinguish the flames before any damage was done.
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

(-expletive removed-) right now im studying in Germany. Very little tools and no place but the sidewalk. Guess i should take it to a dealer. Even a dealer can´t make a mess out of something that simple, hopefully.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Doseur leak? :shock: Are you losing LHM?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

skog77 wrote:Very little tools and no place but the sidewalk.
Changing the cam cover gasket should be very easy (I don't remember any difficulty), only requiring common spanners and screwdrivers, and I think a bit of silicone sealant at the ends of the gasket.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Are you sure it's oil that's burning? Mines a 16v 1.8 and I had a strange burning smell that I couldn't trace for ages. Turned out that one of the core plugs in the head, between cylinders 3 and 4 was weeping. It would dry out by the time I took the coils off so was a aid to find. Rather then drilling the core plugs out I just filled the wells with high temperature epoxy. Sealed for good now!
skog77
My Cars:

Post by skog77 »

Well im pretty sure its oil, cause there's actually small pools of fresh oil around the spark plugs.

:shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

skog77 wrote:Well im pretty sure its oil, cause there's actually small pools of fresh oil around the spark plugs.
Ahh, that's almost 100% certain it's the cam cover gasket then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...