C3 anybody??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rpaco
My Cars:

C3 anybody??

Post by rpaco »

I was thinking of downsizing from my 1998 Xantia 1.9.TD SX which does about 40mpg here in Lincs with no traffic. TO a C3 which apparently does a lot more mpg. Also bits of my Xantia are wearing out, did all spheres last year, just done a track rod end cam belt etc and the PRV is dripping from one end and looking expensive. Also need some brake pipes replacing in a year or two. Also have finished transporting kids and their mountains of essential junk (I hope) so can do with a smaller car. Only do about 6000 per year but something very expensive is going to break soon.

SO, I looked in the forum for any problems with C3s but there is not a single post even mentioning seeing one in the distance!

Is this because it is so bad nobody has bought one or so good that no one has any problems??

There are plenty of posts about C5s which launched around the same year so it's not merely that they are too young to be maintained by enthusiasts.
Any experience, advice or views please.
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The lack of posts is not because the C3 is perfect and the C5 is problematic, there are loads of posts about C5s but thats because a lot more people on here like to run hydraulic cars and/or big cars, there are many more C5 owners than C3 owners on here.

However, im surprised you have not uncovered any C3 threads, as there are many and it shows they are not perfect! Though they are not bad.

Mainly it has been problems with the 1.4HDi 16v 92bhp diesel engine, this seems to be a bit of a pain and many owners (im saying many as there have been lots reported going wrong on here and most C3 HDis are the 70bhps, not the 90s) have posted up about running problems.

On the whole the C3 is quite reliable, they use the same multiplexing wiring as the C5 etc, they have a large range of engines and prices to suit all.

I would think your going for a diesel? Since a petrol C3 will do about the same MPG as your diesel Xantia. So dont go for the 1.4HDi 16v (this was available in SX and Exclusive - SX had the 70bhp 8v too, also XTRs are 16v), go for the 1.4 8v with 70 bhp, yes its down on power but it does tend to prove quite reliable and its great on fuel, road tax is just £30 a year too. Few people have reported problems on here with the 1.4, i know injectors can be an issue and electrics too, but on the whole they are good.

C3s do feel a bit cheap inside, especially the plastic trim, but they seem to stand the test of time and they are very cheap to buy.

The most common petrol is the 1.4 75bhp, its a good and well proven unit, but wont be much different on fuel to your Xantia.

We looked at getting a C3 to replace our little Seat, i looked at a good few and found a lot of slightly ropey examples, no matter what the age. I drove one with a 1.4HDi 70 diesel, the first thing i noticed was now loud the engine noise was at idle, it does get quieter when going though. I had 4 people in the car but it did pull quite well, though didnt have much to give. However a remap would increase bhp around 20% while giving the same MPG.

Most C3s are well equipped, AC etc are almost standard (Cool & Desire trims are the best to go for). I was slightly disappoint with the interior space, it was a bit too tight for me and rear room was limited, the boot is decent.

I like the C3s, and if your looking for a small car with low daily running costs then it would be a good choice.

We also looked at the Berlingos and Xsara Picassos, both were very good but a bit bigger than we were wanting. The hardy 2.0HDi 8v was the appeal with those.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 16 Oct 2010, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Brother bought an 03 C3 1.4 C3 Hdi 70.... and apart from a sticky passenger calliper, its been fine...

Ive test driven a 14 hdi 70bhp too, and actually found it quite spritially alive!

It appears to be quite reliable, engine also used in Ford Fiesta, and I think Mazda 3 or 2.... not sure which...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, the Ford Fiesta used the 1.4 70 HDi and the Mazda 2. The 1.4 16v was in the Mini oneD. Id like to try a remapped 1.4HDi 70, possibly similar to the 90 but with added reliability.

I dont know anyone with a 1.4HDi actually, someone i know has a 1.4 petrol and a 1.6 sensodrive and they both love them, they have been very reliable.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

My aunt bought a brand new C3 1.6 Sensodrive Exclusive in 2006.

She absolutely loved it (so much so that she took delivery of the NEW C3 last week).

I drove it a few times, really comfortable car and very well equipped. Go for this model if you can - Climate Control, Auto headlights and wipers etc.

But avoid the Sensodrive gearbox. It's absolutely horrible if you're anything other than a 50 year old woman.
French is best.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

Ok Thanks guys.
My saying there are no C3 threads was based on a search for C3 which got zero results.
I will bear all your comments in mind.
Thanks to all who replied.
1998 Xantia 1.9TD SX That kinda dark green that shows every spec and is an oven in the summer.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

eldest daughter had one for a while.
Went well and was very frugal - cheap tax too - it was the 1.4 HDi.

Foolishly sold it and bought a mini (old one, not BMW mini) which cost a fortune and was essentially rubbish.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive just done a search for C3 related threads and it brings up all sorts! Hardly much use that. I made a thread when we were considering a C3 and there are some helpful comments in there.

I agree, the sensordrive is an acquired taste, our Peugeot is one, a 1.6 sensordrive -exactly the same as you get in the C3, its ok. Its quite good for lazy driving and being stuck in crawling traffic. But if i drive it for more than a few days at a time it does get annoying, the changes are quite slow - though if you change manually and ease off when you change its not too bad.

Edit: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ht=citroen

After looking at many C3s we bought a 5 door C1, it has just as much interior room, slightly more in the back, but a very small boot. Though i think they are brilliant, not what i was expecting. It suits our needs perfectly, its faster and almost as good on fuel as a HDi C3, with even cheaper road tax!
Last edited by Citroenmad on 17 Oct 2010, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I think the forum search only works on phrases more than 2 characters! It used to at least, which isn't ideal for the Citroen range...

We've had our C3 for a few months now. No major problems, except that the rad fan is knackered. It passed it's MOT without issues. The wife has reported that the rear wash/wipe does what it likes on occasions, although it's yet to do it to me. Economy is good - I average about 47MPG around town, and the 1.6HDi encourages you to put your right foot down a bit! The Activa does around 20 in similar use... The C3 obviously doesn't ride or handle as well, but the ride isn't bad, and it can be hustled along quite quickly once you know what to expect.

I'm 6'3", and not as slim as I used to be, and I can feel the seat digging into my leg sometimes when I've been driving a while. (All the seats are quite narrow). I'm pretty sure the non-Exclusive seats are flatter, and probably more comfortable. The wife loves it though. It's certainly nice to park such a compact car, helped by the high driving position.

In short, I've not seen any reason to be really put off one although, like any car, there will be good and bad ones out there, and things can go wrong expensively on a modern car. (That's probably as good a reason as any to avoid the Sensodrive).

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

We still have a C3 but it's offroad awaiting cash to buy 3 new injectors. We've had lots of trouble with injectors - my posts litter this forum - and a few other things, but mainly injectors and turbo issues.

However, when it was running without faults, it went superbly and was a joy to drive with plenty of torque. I'd planned on keeping it for a long while to come after the first injector replacement because it had quite some poke for a 1.4, handled well and was fun to drive, but now it's going to be sold as soon as it's fixed because it's just too much hassle and too costly.

I'm referring to the 1.4 16V 92HP engine though! From what I understand, the other C3s are superior with less faults, so simply avoid the DV4TED4 engine used between 2002 and 2005 and you should have a good car. I believe the Delphi injection system was dropped and the post-2005 16V HDi C3 used (uses?) the 1.6 16V HDi engine, which has a Bosch injection system and I've seen no reports of injector problems with these ones. I'd go for the 1.6 simply for the extra poke as I hate sluggish cars.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,

I have one a 16V 92bhp it is a cracking little car the only real problems so far is the cables for the sunroof have broken and the rear drum brakes always seem to be problematic.

sitting in the front is great but i would not like to sit in the back for a long journey, good sized boot with the moduboot to "double" the space.

£30 per year road tax could be better on fuel and it is when the wife drives it tonnes of poke you have to watch for wheel spin.

I am keeping this one
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp
danielsydney
My Cars:

Post by danielsydney »

I have had my 02 C3 auto since new. I love it and think the new one is not that much better really. Ill be keeping mine. Have had no major issues with mine recently.I would buy another one.
C3 Automatic.
"la vie est belle"
"c'est elle que J'aime"
www.tvcitroen.com
www.renaulttv.co.uk
www.pubstv.com
"arive en France"