Supplimenting Diesel with Veg oil in an XUD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

PM sent :D
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

ok Alex, now you have some barrels of WVO here's some thoughts, although most already mentioned in the thread

dont tell anyone the oilmans real name, think of him like the stig, otherwise we wont have any oil left :D

carry a spare fuel filter at all times.. when they clog it's fairly quick (about 100 miles from the first feeling of fuel starvation to a dead car by a road) Jim will testify to my first experience of this, 10 hours all told, to get relayed the last 70 miles home, in middle of winter with no blower (also carry the tool to remove the filter and a freezer bag to put the old one in

WVO may cause some blockage of the tank pickup, and although mine has been bad on two occasions, (it may have been my pic you saw) - I dont think it's ever affected the car.. still, nice to know its clean every few months..

Tonight i will add 50L to the xant, as it has about 15L of Derv in.. temps below freezing later but it will be ok, as Chris say's , let the car get nice and warm on the coldest of mornings..

If you are filling from barrels that are outside at this time of year, see if you can leave them in the car for the day to get to a decent temp, it makes life a lot quicker and easier

if filling from the 25L by yourself, find a way of holding the/a large bore funnnel from the tailgate struts (eg metal coathanger) leaving both hands free to hold the damn things :D

the barrels empty about twice the speed if turned on their side, but which ever way they are, they glug at first and you may get some on the rear quarter, (petrol or other sovent is useful for removing this)

the car may chug when idleing, even when warm.. it isn't a big deal but can be a little smokey.. a rise in idle speed could cure this or if really concerned bring the % WVO down a bit etc..

if sea levels rise on the coast you can now think of building a raft ;)

think that's it..

john

another thing.. there is a consensus that the seals in the pump may weep after prolonged running.. I am about 30,000 miles and there is some evidence of this, it doesnt seem to make the car run badly, but I am interested in rebuilding my spare pump one day and then looking into the one thats on there..
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

I've been running 50/50 on my XUD7 (with Bosch pump) for 20 months no problem. Changed the filter once, and regularly check thereafter.

Perhaps with a 2000 C15 it doesn't matter (age being the accepted caveat for leniency or omission), but I reckon it got me through MOT emissions easily on a couple of occasions.

It's also nicer to store as a backup fuel when the gauge is low and a garage is a few hours away from fill up. Certainly less of a pain since being announced duty free.

The only thing that does concern me is that we are using a food grade product adding extra pressure to the global supply and the emphasis on clearing rainforest et al for crop production. I will have to reassess how I feel about this in time.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

I agree, frenchcarnut.
If there was a big switchover from petrofuels to biofuels (with our current technology) then the amount of farmland required to supply fuel for vehicles would mean there'd be almost no room to produce food.
I really don't agree with what the Americans are doing with using corn to produce ethanol fuel. I've heard that it uses the equivalent of more than a gallon of gasoline to produce a gallon of E85, and the stuff is notorious for reducing performance and fuel economy!

However, using waste veggie oil in diesels has a positive environmental impact, since you're using a resource that would otherwise be disposed of. And whilst you're burning it (releasing the evil CO2) there will be new crops taking it back in again. Reducing your net emissions.

Also thanks for the points John, I bought a fuel filter the other week and it's currently sitting in the back seat of the ZX, will make sure to check my filter(s) every month or so. The one I've got in there is reaching the end of it's 18 month life anyway (as recommended by the BoL).
I think I did see the post about veggie oil hardening natural rubber seals. If you rebuild your pump at some stage, will you post it on your Xantia blog?

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep agree on farmland being used for fuel, worse still is rainforest destruction for sugar cane :shock:

Alex, yep will do blog , but also there are one or two on here already (Jim, Mike T and Roma) to name but a few :twisted:

The reality of WVO and Bosch for me is really that I put it in, and drive, and when something does go wrong I find a fix :twisted: if there is a small leak over time, or / and degrading of seals, but the car still goes, then ignorance is bliss :D - but nothing has gone wrong in 30,000 or so miles ...yet .. ;)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I drove Cassy for goodness knows how many miles with SVO practically gushing out the front of the pump.
It's done a good job of bomb proofing the sump :D
30 minutes of 120C steam cleaning only budged a small part of it :oops:

Wouldn't recommend driving with a very leaky pump though, it doesn't do much for your fuel economy.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool