ZX speedo cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timbo2410

ZX speedo cable

Post by timbo2410 »

Ok I finally got around to fixing the speedo that refused to work after replacing the dashboard lights. Well, the white lug on the end of the cable had pulled free of the metal sheath. It's a hexagonal metal ending on the sheath and the white plastic lug is meant to push into it. This is why it was such an easy job when removing it in the first place. I had to remove the radio so that the wife could get her hand up behind the dashboard to plug it back into the dial ... man what a job ... glad the wife has small hands as I couldn't even get my wrist in there!! Anyway it's done and working :D
While replacing the lights behind the dash has worked a treat, I've noticed that the lights for the hazard warning indicator, the rear fog lamp and rear demister are very dull. What is the light behind it and can it be replaced as well? or is the unit sealed and the whole switch has to be replaced?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Well done on speedo cable. :)

Regarding the others, firstly you have not caught the dimmer wheel ? (I assume not otherwise the instrument panel would be dim too)

I have not looked at a ZX although I would guess they are probably built into the switches themselves. It might be possible to replace them with some dismantling / soldering (again, I don't have one to look at)

I'd suggest pulling one out to see if it does have an easy replaceable bulb or not ;) , at least you will know then.

It is probably not as bad as you think (the dimness) but having the others nice and bright has made them 'appear' dim in comparison.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

HAHA fixed it .... the inner speedo drive from the firewall to the speedo had come out ... i just grabbed the inner core and gently turned it while pushing towards the engine and it went back into it's socket ... But I had to get the wife to stick her hand behind the dashboard to clip the cable back on to the speedo itself. There was no way I could even get my fingers in behind the speedo let alone connect it back up so job done :D
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Good to hear you got it sorted out, but rather than start a new thread about the speedo it would have been better to put you post on the end of the original thread.

Cheers.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
timbo2410

Post by timbo2410 »

Yeah I should have finished off the old thread as I wanted to start a new one about the instrument lights ... oops :oops: