S1 Xantia Alternators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

S1 Xantia Alternators

Post by Old-Guy »

Does anyone know off-hand if the alternator from a P-plate 1.9TD estate is likely to be basically the same as the dead one on the daughter's 2.0i of the same age?

I'm aware that both Mitsubishi and Bosch alternators were fitted. Different makes to petrol and diesel engines?

I do, of course, expect to have to swap the pulleys.

The BoL is no help at all and I can't consult service.citroën until I've got both RP numbers, and even then I don't suppose I'll know what the significance of the two different part numbers will mean in practical terms.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All I can tell you Guy, is that the 1.9TD may have two different alternators fitted, depending on the type of auxillary belt tensioner fitted. They are not interchangeable.

I've found that the differences can be so subtle as to cause the aux. belt to run a groove off on an otherwise identical looking alternator. I found this on my original Activa. I could not understand why the belt ran a groove off and then found the pulley centre was just a bit different.

They might swap but don't bank on it!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The TD will have a higher output alternator (to run glowplugs and the like) than the petrol and most likely a different diameter pulley too. As mentioned above, if the pulleys align you can probably substitute one for the other.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks chaps - sounds like it's going to be a suck-it-and-see job. Take off both and measure carefully - being careful to remember which is which! :lol: :lol:
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It also depends on which Aux belt tensioner system you have!!!!

Theres two different types of Air Con tensioner setups!!

P Platers appeared to have a Spring tensioner, but ALSO the earlyer manual Tensioner system!!! Then later on, they moved to the awfully crap Spring loaded and eccentric tensioner... The two systems use different altinator tensioners...

I found that the later spring loaded setup uses the same altinator as a Berlingo!!

I know this from my own car, when I converted her to take Air Con, I fitted the awfull spring loaded type tensioner, and needed an altinator, I got one from a Berlingo Van... but thats all I can tell you, so you need to get the old one off to compare..

Higher output or not, they still give out 14v.. My guess is the DERV one gives a higher amp to charge the battery faster after the glow plugs have half drained it... LOL...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I found Mitsu pulleys had a different bore to Bosch.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

addo wrote:I found Mitsu pulleys had a different bore to Bosch.
But of course - incompatibility is in the manufacturers interests! :evil:
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Quick update.

Took spare alternator (from 'spares' 1.9TD) plus selection of tools (instead of my entire tool-chest weighing about 40Kg), down to Devon for a long week-end visit.

After much cussing (frozen fasteners) and experimenting (the BoL doesn't even acknowledge the existence of the 2.0i 16V engine, and consequently handicapped by not having a couple of vital tools) I finally got the dead alternator out on Saturday afternoon. Identical Valeo unit to the spare EXCEPT for the mounting! :twisted:

A call to GSF's Plymouth branch on Monday morning offered me 2 possibilities - £45 or £98 (+VAT)

Hoping to avoid a 60 mile round trip, I stopped off at the local motor factors - only one type listed £178 +VAT :eek1: not in stock, but could have one delivered from Plymouth by 1:00 pm.

Not wanting to risk wasting 3 hours waiting for the wrong one (or to pay £80 over the odds), off to GSF 45 minutes away. Of the two (Marelli) units placed on the counter, one was identical to my spare and the other matched the dead unit - guess which was the expensive one! :twisted:

Alternator and new belt (£20 from the factors on Saturday morning) fitted by 4:00 and all's well.

Having 'discovered' how to do the job, I'll do write-up before I forget - it could save someone else a lot of time.