Xantia Power steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham06

Xantia Power steering

Post by graham06 »

I have a problem with my xantia power steering it's only giving about half the amount of assistance when you turn the wheel full lock and then when you turn it back it seems to be pushing against me it's a 93 td any help to pinpoint this problem would be very much appreciated[?]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the LHM hasn't been changed and the filters cleaned in the last year or so, I would start from there. If the fluid is very discoloured, it might be worth cleaning the system for a 1000 miles before putting in new LHM.
graham06

Post by graham06 »

Hi John thanks for you reply can you tell me where and what filters to get this is the first citroen i have owned i changed the front spheres about six months ago the fluid looked really green then
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Graham,
I've not owned a Xantia for long so I'm unsure of the exact hydraulic layout on them but I'm sure other memebers will know if there is a separate filter in the supply to the power steering like there is in the CX, which looks like a straight connector in the hydraulic supply down to the steering unit, inside is a granular metal filter that needs either washing or replacing , it used to give very similar symptoms in the CX to the ones you describe :-)
Pete
________
BUY NO2 VAPORIZER
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There will be a flow divider valve (FDV) on a 93'er, this has five pipes going into it IIRC and there are small filters in it that can get blocked.
The FDV splits the high pressure oil supply between the steering and the rest of the hydraulic system.
The other (main) filters are inside the LHM reservoir, there is one on the suction side and one on the return side, they can be washed out with petrol, removing them requires the pipe block on top of the reservoir to be removed, the filters are clipped to the pipe block.
Removal of the pipe block is best achieved by firstly syphoning the oil from the reservoir, then tipping it on its side and withdrawing the block, I find it impossible to get the pipe block out
without doing it this way plus you don't get LHM all over the shop.
Dave
graham06

Post by graham06 »

Thanks to all that replyed to my query i will have a go at these filters on the weekend .