Check your Spare wheel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Check your Spare wheel?

Post by Jon »

Had a puncture last week on the ZX.
Had to fit the spare whilst the tyre place ordered the correct tyre.
Now, I thanked my "servicing schedule" for ensuring that the spare had lots of air in it, and that the threaded bracket that holds the wheel cradle in place unwound easily because I always dab some copaslip on it with a brush at each service.
But! the spare is the original 1993 item, never been on the road!
It was so heavily corroded around the hole in the middle, and the 4 wheel nut holes that I couldn't fit it. Resorted to chipping off the loose rust by hitting it with the wheelbrace in an attempt to fit the wheel. Eventually got it on. [B)]
Will now ensure that the wheel centre and bolt holes are wire brushed and copaslipped at each service as well. Amazingly, the 10 year old Michelin was just fine!
[^]
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

On my Xantia the threaded bar has siezed solid - Only way I can get the spare out is to let the air out first and even then its difficult.
It will have to be removed with an angle grinder or cutting torch at some point. Don't suppose GSF stock the bars and hooks?
Jon

Post by Jon »

no. we don't do 'em. Hardly the end of the World at Citroen though:
7615 69 Screw bolt £4.32
7615 89 Washer £0.25
7615 71 Hook £4.80.
If you grease the bolt before you screw it in to the hook, and regrease at every service then they last for ever.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Get your spare wheel in a bin liner then shove it in the cradle, thought everyone did that[:0]
Dave