Mysterious oil loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Do you lay a smokescreen behind you?

That is an awful lot of oil to be using and as as MikeT says, it is not expected that oil consumption would increase after a head gasket renewal.

The statement that cheap oil has done for your engine is also to be viewed with much sceptisism. It would need to be really crap oil and in for a long time before that was likely. I would expect damage the camshaft bearings before anything else. That would not result in increased oil consumption though.

Your engine is the same as the one in my Xantia and I used cheap (Asda @ about three quid a gallon) with no ill effects whatsoever - it was changed very frequently but that shouldn't make that much difference.

I'm at a loss to explain the consumption other than valve guide oil seals which should have been checked before the head was refitted but if it wasn't a problem before then it shouldn't have changed while the head was off.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I think the Head was replaced with a new one MyG, so the best bet is that they forgot to fit the seals.
Does anyone know if you can see the seals without stripping the head? I expect not, but you never know!
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)