Xantia Airbag Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Xantia Airbag Removal

Post by nick »

Hi,
Currently trying to remove the airbag on my Xantia to replace the
indicator switch.
Problem is the ever helpful (!?) Haynes manual doesnt mention what
type of screws are used to hold the airbag in place. I suspect they
are probably torx screws, but they are recessed in the back of the
steering wheel so you can't actually see them until they are removed!
Ive tried various types of screwdrivers (flat, philips, torx) but
nothing seems to get any grip on them and I'm concerned that I'm
probably damaging the heads of the screws in the process.
Anyone done this job before ?
Any help much appreciated !
Regards,
Nick
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hello Nick, Torx head screws are used to hold the airbag in place, can't remember the exact size for sure about T40 or T30, disconnect the car battery and wait for 15 mins before touching the bag, stay well to the side of the wheel or well back when in front of it whilst working on it just incase, loosen but don't remove the wheel nut, give it a good slap with your palms at centre height to break the taper, if you take the nut off completely the wheel might fly off taking the wires with it and smashing the rotary connector and circuit board, the orange connector pulls directly away from the bag, don't twist or try sliding it, touch a good earth point to ground any static before grabing the airbag connector, on refitting align the arrows on the rotary connector and make sure the road wheel's are in the dead ahead position, don't forget to mark the steering wheel in relation to the shaft before removal.
Hope this helps
Dave
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks Dave,
Removed it with no other problems, for future reference it was a T30 size screw !
I had been a bit concerned about static, so I touched the bodywork before removing the connector.
Thanks again,
Nick
howardaskew
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 2.2 HDI 173 VTX+ 6 Speed Manual
X7 2010 2.0 HDI VTR+ 16v 163
X7 2012 1.6HDI VTR+ 110
C5 2.0 HDI Mk2 VTR+ Now scrapped
2nd Car SAAB 9-3 TID 2007 Now Scrapped
Ex C5 2.2 HDI Mk1 Exclusive Automatic Destroyed Sep 2018 in a RTA Sadly missed but all ok.
Ex Citroen C5 2.0 VTR HDI 186k Hit a tree at 50mph and lived to tell the tale. Although my ribs still click!
Ex Citroen C4 (caught fire in middle of town :( )
Ex C5 Mk 1 clocked up 276k on original clutch now scrapped
Ex Xantia (Passed to Wife and clocked up 169,000 now scrapped)
Audi 200 Turbo manual 1984 (It was a very very fast beast :) )

Re: Xantia Airbag Removal

Post by howardaskew »

I removed airbag/steering wheel on a 1997 Xantia 1.8i 16V and the screws are T25.

I find iPhone useful to take pictures of the screw heads to identify them in hard to reach places.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've always kept a mirror glass handy for such viewings, very useful thing to have slightly better sometimes than the traditional "dentist" type "mirror on a telescopic stick" affair as you can shine a small light onto the mirror to have it reflected on the object in question.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Nick they are T30 torx screws and you can see them with a small makeup mirror from the misses handbag and a torch, but unfortunately you dont actually need to remove the steerring wheel to replace the switch arms.
I did both of mine in my 1998 S2 just by rotatating the steering wheel to create more room, I removed the top half iof the cowling around the steering wheel covering the arms, it is then possible to unplug the arms and remove them by using a flat screwdriver to prize up the plastic clips holding them to their connection blocks, it is a fair while since I did them so some of it is a bit loosley remembered but I did not need to remove the air bag & steering wheel first. the left one for the lights was £62 from Citroen and the right one wipers was £10 on a scrap yard.
regards Nigel,
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mk1 needs the wheel off to remove the top cowling.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

ARRRRGGGHHHH S*Ds Law That.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I can confirm that S2 Xantias can have the upper and lower cowls removed without bothering the steering wheel.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

So can I, as I have had to replace Gracies' wiper stalk, and all the dashboard bulbs.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:ARRRRGGGHHHH S*Ds Law That.

regards Nigel.
Yup, it's a PITA.
There's a plastic square clip that often gets snapped off if you don't free it up through the wiper stalk hole with a flat screwdriver, and if it breaks off the cowl wobbles.
This is one area where the Mk1 is much better.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

superloopy wrote:
Stewart(oily) wrote:I can confirm that S2 Xantias can have the upper and lower cowls removed without bothering the steering wheel.
How?

Mines apart but will it go back again, no way Jose!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
It just comes apart then goes back, a bit fiddly but nothing special.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

To get the cowls back on my MK2 I had to bend down the tag on the steering column at the bottom of the bottom cowl to allow it to slide back on. I think I bent it back again when the cowl was back on.
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car

would just like to add that blue tack is a marvelous thing on the end of your screwdriver/torx bits when working upside down if you dont have a magnet handy to charge the tools with maganetism.
danny13

Post by danny13 »

Does anyone know how to disconnect the orange connector, it looks like its firmly attached to the metal plate at the back of the airbag and I've trying to avoid breaking it, should it split in the middle (with a bit of brute force)?