Leaky Bosch injector pump ZX Turbo diesel (driveshaft side?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charlow
My Cars:

Leaky Bosch injector pump ZX Turbo diesel (driveshaft side?)

Post by charlow »

Hi,
I,ve had a very reliable 1994 ZX Turbo Diesel Volcane for some 10 years now and have a problem which I think is the seal on the input drive shaft of the Bosch fuel pump.
It now starts with difficulty any time of day and requires priming and a lot of cranking to start. I changed all the leak-off pipes and put a one-way valve between the fuel filter and fuel pump inlet. This did absolutely nothing!
I've noticed in the last week, an occaisional smell of diesel when the front window is wound down and when getting out of the car.
When looking closely at the fuel pump when priming it, I can see a very small trickle of fuel dripping from the the timing side end of the pump.
Would I be correct in assuming that the Bosch pump has a fuel seal on its input drive shaft and if so can it be changed without removing the fuel pump.
Where would be the best place to get a new seal and what is the likely cost.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Years ago (around 1987 (yes 87, so D / E plate!) if I remember correctly) a modification of a dust shield was fitted to XUD's to stop dirt getting into the front bearing of the pump which would cause a similar fault to this.

However, its not possible you have such an early pump.

You would need to take the pump off to inspect it further, although are you sure its actually coming out of the drive end ? , I cannot recall seeing one leaking from there.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
charlow
My Cars:

Post by charlow »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the advice.
The small trickle of fuel comes from the joint that the fuel pump is bolted to.
A thing I forgot to mention is that when priming the pump and when the primer gets hard (er) to squeeze, you can here a quiet queezing noise from that side of the pump, in between squeezing the primer.
Does this sound like air/fuel leaking out?
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It does sound like a leakage yes, this will also be the cause of your starting problems: any air that gets in (it will get in) will cause problems.

I think we could do with a picture really to see.

Have you tried cleaning the area up (something like aerosol brake / clutch cleaner is good but leave it at least a few minutes to evaporate!) , then operating the primer bulb a few times then examining closely for where the leak is coming from ?

I'm not actually familiar with the internals of the pump (someone will be able to post about that if needed) although I do not recall seeing one leaking from here... A replacement pump may be a sensible course of action if the seal is not easily available or involves a large stripdown to replace.

But before thinking about that, best to clean it off and see for sure, it can spread around making it not always that obvious where indeed it originates from.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

No, the parts should be both easy to source (Bosch diesel agents) and relatively cheap but as you'll need to completely strip the pump to get the main shaft out, I'd strongly advise replacing all seals if you're intent on keeping the car.

That's assuming it is leaking at the drive shaft so best do as Spider advises and try to identify exactly where it's coming from first.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If it is a Bosch pump and it's the just the driveshaft seal leaking, then with care, just this seal can be replaced without stripping the pump.

I've done it although it is hard to extract the old seal as it is tight. Use a a good mandrel to drive the new seal home.

No need for a genuine Bosch seal. These are fine. It's just a normal garter seal and being made of Nitrile, it's both Diesel and veg. proof.

I reiterate that this is ONLY for the Bosch TD pump. A Lucas pump will be different.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

CitroJim wrote:If it is a Bosch pump and it's the just the driveshaft seal leaking, then with care, just this seal can be replaced without stripping the pump.
That's handy to know and I stand corrected. :oops:
charlow
My Cars:

Post by charlow »

CitroJim wrote:If it is a Bosch pump and it's the just the driveshaft seal leaking, then with care, just this seal can be replaced without stripping the pump.

Many thanks Jim,
It is a Bosch pump, it's a NR 0460 494 278 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              0460 494 278      end_of_the_skype_highlighting,VE No.445,XUD 203 Turbo Diesel.
Will tthe part you quoted be suitable for this pump?
Is this seal a double lipped seal as I seem to recall someone saying that Bosch now supply this type of seal for the driveshaft end?
charlow
My Cars:

Post by charlow »

Sorry all for the last post, my computer thinks the Bosch pump part number is a telephone number.
It should be part number 0460494278
tismenotyou
My Cars:

for the attention of CitroJim

Post by tismenotyou »

Hi CitroJim.
can you please tell me if the size of the seal shown in your link is the one required for the bosch pump. I have a pug 306 td with the same problem, seal leaking at the input shaft behind camb pulley. just put this pump on 2 months ago so will try and replace the seal in-situ. Don't want to take it out again.
thanks.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Charlow, well I never.. I grew up in your village! .. never though I would say that on an internet forum...

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:hi Charlow, well I never.. I grew up in your village! .. never though I would say that on an internet forum...

John
And I grew up pretty near to Creech as well, Langport... Left at 16 (35 years ago) and been up here ever since... I still travel down pretty regularly to visit the folks...

The seal quoted is for the TD pump. If yours is a non-turbo, the seal is a different size. I can advise the size later if yours is the non-turbo pump.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
charlow
My Cars:

Post by charlow »

Hi Citro Jim.
I've got the injection pump off the car and bought a new seal and been half heartedly trying to get the old seal out.
I'm worried that I'll bugger-up the shaft or outer seating face.
Have you any tips as to how to more easily remove the buggered seal?
tismenotyou
My Cars:

Post by tismenotyou »

Thanks for that. It is the td model . Will get one ordered today.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

charlow wrote:Have you any tips as to how to more easily remove the buggered seal?
Self-tapping screws into old seal, one each side, then pull with pliers?