Help on rear brakes Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Volcane 1994

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charlow
My Cars:

Help on rear brakes Citroen ZX Turbo Diesel Volcane 1994

Post by charlow »

Can anyone point me in the right direction.
A few years ago I replaced both rear in-line brake hydraulic pressure reducers because I coudn't bleed one of the rear wheel calipers.
Ever since, the rear wheel braking efficency has been very poor, only just passing the mot requirements over the last two years.
I want to sort this out for this years mot and could do with some help.
Am I right in saying that there are two rear flexible rubber brake pipes on each side of the car. Do these last indefinately or would I be advised to change them. Also getting back to the in-line brake pressure reducers, can they be by-passed easily to see if there is any improvement in the rear braking

Any expert help would be apprciated!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The rear flexible brake hoses should be inspected for perishing, cracks and swelling and replaced if needed.

Rarer is internal collapse of them (not seen this very often) but that tends to cause a brake to stick on and not release much (due to fluid pressure being unable to move back, the hose works kind of like a one-way valve to a slight extent when that happens)

They are relatively cheap though these hoses, to be honest replace both of them if in any doubt.

Regarding brake pressure reduction valves, I'm not familiar with the ZX, however their general purpose is to reduce fluid pressure at the rear wheels to prevent premature locking of the rear wheels under heavy braking (more likely when lightly loaded) , if you remove them, you are likely to have problems with wheel lockups at the back I would guess (not tried myself!) under very hard braking.

I would have to guess the problems with the rear efficiency are (assuming said valves are not actually faulty which is not likely) more likely due to shoe adjustment if not worn brakes themselves.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG