which is best a xantia or an C5 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

imperial21 wrote:Wow all these replys, I have sent my Xantia of for its work tomorrow. You have all certainly made me think, i am for now going to keep trying to get it into tip top condition, which i like my cars to be as I tow a caravan, i am well impresed by how well it tows, i had a mk1 focus diesel before i think the xantia is in another world in comparasant, the focus was pants !

As mentioned all the new wiring and dmfs & emision controls are quite scary & very expensive to repair.

hopefully my xantia will be with me for a long time !
Umm...! don't like to worry you but 2.0 Ltr HDI Xant same engine as C5 methinks that you may already have a DMF, (happy to stand corrected ) :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xantia HDi (90 or 110) does without a DMF 8-) Although the 110s use the ML box with the stupid hydraulic pull clutch where the (non bleedable) actuator falls apart when the release bearing inevitably pulls out of the clutch plate :roll: Just waiting for it to happen to mine (107k now and counting.... :evil: )
Richard W
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi i Thankfully can correct you as the xantia was nt fitted with a dual mass fly wheel, mine has just had te clutch changed and i know it did nt have a dual mass flywheel, thanks goodness !!!!
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

HDi's have the self destructing lift pumps in the fuel tank though don't they?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Citroenmad wrote:They certainly offer great performance, 173bhp in a C5, who would have thought it!
You drove my 173 in March last year!
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

KevMayer wrote:How about this beauty..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-Citroën-C5-2 ... 5194e00aee

:D
For a 4 owner car, I think it's expensive.
Theres a few 173's out there. I'd keep looking.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

RichardW wrote:Xantia HDi (90 or 110) does without a DMF 8-) Although the 110s use the ML box with the stupid hydraulic pull clutch where the (non bleedable) actuator falls apart when the release bearing inevitably pulls out of the clutch plate :roll: Just waiting for it to happen to mine (107k now and counting.... :evil: )
In its defence it's an amazingly simple fix to the none bleedable system,
and the result is a featherlight clutch pedal :)

..and they tend to go,(the release bearing), at around 170,000 for some bizarre reason,same as mine did,so you should have plenty life left in yours, and when it does go, it just takes a bit of nouse to sort it.

Xac, yes, the tank lift pump wears out, mine did also and was replaced,seems to be a ten year thing with some xants,everything dies :lol:

The c5 is ugly in my opinion, but I could see myself in this c5, estate,
(in the for sale bit) eBay
much more pleasing, shame it's not a hdi,but that's the kind of thing I'd go for, if ever I wanted another citroen
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

bencowell wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:They certainly offer great performance, 173bhp in a C5, who would have thought it!
You drove my 173 in March last year!
I did, its impressive 8-)

There are a few about, one very close to me which is quite tempting, surprisingly insurance is only £100 than my lowly 110.

Ive been looking at C4s today, found two really very nice ones, im very tempted to swap, but im wondering if ill miss the C5.

I did go to look at a 1.6HDi VTX C5 today - same as your spec Ben, obviously slightly slower! Has the built in satnav etc. Though on inspection it wasnt as good as i was hoping, body was a little tatty, thats when the C4s caught my eye.

The dealer offered me a few pence for my C5, which was nice. :roll:

HDis are good engines, among the best of modern diesels, hence so many other manufactuers have pinched them.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Just to add to members experience.

My first Hydraulic Citroen was a Xantia HDi Exclusive, the engine was OK, but the ride was very variable despite spending countless hours, stripping cleaning and flushing, one day nice and floaty the next 20 average. I decided that if I was going to spend so much time on a car it had to be special so I went for an XM. The difference was astounding, the engine was better 2.1TD (maybe the HDi was faulty), the ride was amazingly cossetting until it switched into sport mode which seemed to transform the car into a small hatchback.

I'd heard how good the 2.5 was and I was missing the abilities of the 405 Estate I'd had before the Xantia so the next car was a XM 2.5 estate. Needless to say I was disappointed, the ride wasn't as good as the XM hatch and the engine wasn't all that. The engine had a head cracked in every chamber, I fixed all the faults but still sold it - it was hard to find a large enough parking space in a busy city.

Next came the C5 HDi 110 Exclusive, what a lovely vehicle, strange looks but very normal in most ways. Never went wrong, consistently good ride. It was Citroens Mondeo of the time. With a remap it pulled like a train but I missed the XMs quirkiness.

Then came the XM 2.0 TCT with LPG. Lovely in every way after the engine rebuild but too thirsty, I just didn't think it was right running a car that used so much fuel (even if LPG is cheap) so I sold it too.

Then came the XM SED. Wow now I knew what I was missing, hissing hydraulics, great interior styling and a nice ride.

My take on it is that everyone's favourite car will be different so asking opinions may just confuse you more. You also have to consider that most forum posting will be owners looking for help or advice, the 'average' motorist with a reliable car probably won't even post to a forum. So all those C5 owners that just run them till they drop are uncounted.

Steve.
not applicable
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

HDI Dave wrote:
RichardW wrote:Xantia HDi (90 or 110) does without a DMF 8-) Although the 110s use the ML box with the stupid hydraulic pull clutch where the (non bleedable) actuator falls apart when the release bearing inevitably pulls out of the clutch plate :roll: Just waiting for it to happen to mine (107k now and counting.... :evil: )
In its defence it's an amazingly simple fix to the none bleedable system,
and the result is a featherlight clutch pedal :)

..and they tend to go,(the release bearing), at around 170,000 for some bizarre reason,same as mine did,so you should have plenty life left in yours, and when it does go, it just takes a bit of nouse to sort it.
I wish you hadnt just said that. I'm at 168,900 miles....... :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: I wish you hadnt just said that. I'm at 168,900 miles....... :cry:
Chris, a man of your abilities.... An utter walk in the park. :D

Have no fear whatsoever!

And if the slave cylinder spills it's guts, have no fear there either. Dave and I between us have that one well and truly sussed :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

xantia or c5??

Post by deano1970 »

well, people on here will know of my problems with my x reg xantia 2.0hdi 110bhp........the fans have apparently packed up.However,I have just gone from buxton derbyshire to the norfolk broads and back without missing a beat.The temp was as it should be and was brill on fuel......body work on my xan is really still nice and the mileage?? just coming up to the 207,000 mark.starts first time,every time,and ticks over beautifully.did have to replace fuel pump in tank last year,expensive job,but really,it's been a great car and have had it over three and a half years now.....never driven the c5 but may look at one in the next year or two,when I decide to rid the old xantia.........but, cracking car is all I can say........stick with waht you know!!!!!!!!!!!!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: xantia or c5??

Post by cachaciero »

deano1970 wrote:.......stick with waht you know!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a very salient piece of advice and the reason I suspect that many stick with Citroens... its what they know :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Citroenmad wrote:
bencowell wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
The dealer offered me a few pence for my C5, which was nice. :roll:
foxed 'em with mine...guide books mileage didn't go high enough for age :)
£375 against a 15k octavia vRS estate
'02 110 HDi SX estate, 203k

never had a Xantia but as general concensus stick with what you know is a good ethic.
would i have another C5 ? new shape tourer yes.
would i recommend one to someone? probably not, everyone needs to make up their own mind

most of my problems are common so not a nasty surprise although i can say absolutely none were electrical which has surprised me considering the reputation
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well ok, it was more than a few pence, but still not a good enough price for me to change.

That is the conclusion ive came to, i would have another but i wouldnt recommend one. I dont like recommending cars to people as they would probably go wrong :lol:

I had been thinking about swapping for a facelift C5, but i dont think ill do that now, the newest is 57 reg and its not a far cry from my current one, which is very tidy and decent mileage, so i dont see the point in changing to a facelift now. However i would like the new shape C5 but in a year or so.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10