which is best a xantia or an C5 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

which is best a xantia or an C5 ?

Post by imperial21 »

I have an 1999 HDI xantia exclusive and when its time to replace it am i better off trying to find a better xantia or move on to a C5 ?
I have read alot of bad things about a C5 i just wonder if they are that bad ? Must be diesel still !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Trouble with Xantias these days is that the yougest of them are 9 years old, and they are few and far between - currently <100 for sale on Autotrader. Most are now high mileage bangers, so a search for a better one than you have got is likely to be long and most likely fruitless.... :cry:

C5s can have some issues, but decent ones easily do starship mileage. A lexia is really necessary if you are going to work on one, but they can be had for not much more than a couple of dealer diagnostic sessions! Not driven a C5 much - but I do fancy the idea of a 2.2 HDi twin turbo with >170 BHP!
Richard W
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

Best thing to do is find a nice one, drive it and make up your own mind, its true there's quite a bit of bad press about the C5 out there and the Citroenian seems to highlight that, but again finding a nice low mileage Xantia isn't easy these days either.

There is more to go wrong on a C5 as is with all new cars, personally Ive never been a fan of them, finding them aesthetically rather unappealing and nothing special to drive. But again thats my opinion, I'm told the later face-lifted cars are better (and far better looking imho).
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd agree with Richard, good Xantias are now few and far between and getting rarer by the day. Good ones do occasionally turn up though.

If your current Xantia is basically sound, it's well worth looking after it, doing any work needed and sticking with it. Better the devil you know...

I will be keeping mine until the C6 reaches Xantia prices and then I may swap.

Xantias will do starship mileages too. My MK1 V6 is currently on 173000 miles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

interesting views so far, my xantia has about 108k miles so i hope has a few miles left on it, i really like it to drive but i sometimes think its a bit of a money pit !!! is that citroen motoring ? but as i say i really like my car and its the top model with leather etc !!! but a bit scruffy which i am slowly improving.
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

FWIW I got a year 2000 Xantia 90Hdi saloon last year at 38000miles, one owner from new, full service etc. Now done 55000 miles, no probs whatsoever, just fitted front discs and pads.
What could be better.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

108K is just nicely run in!

The funny thing about a Xantia is they can go through a phase of being a money pit and then run very reliably and with little expense for a very long time. This has been my experience with all the ones I've owned. Initially they have consumed a fair bit to get them up to scratch and then very little since.

Huge amounts of money can be saved by doing anything that needs doing yourself and nothing on a Xantia is really beyond competent DIY. Many jobs are straightforward but time-consuming and this is why it is expensive if the work is carried out by dealers...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

A least with a Xantia although there are more pits to put money into, they are relatively small compared to the fewer but larger pits that C5s may have.

And of course what with Xantia supplies drying up, you will be hard pressed to find a good one in a few years whereas C5s will be about for much longer.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

I agree with all the above replys,
Xants are getting older,mainly the bodywork I'd say seems to be 'going' now,but I'm far from an expert.

My friends got an early c5 when I got my xant, they prefer mine! Their c5 costs more to repair,more to go wrong, interior is boring, and it looks like a bloody jelly mold...

I'd stick with your own for a bit or dare I say it look for a *less expensive to fix marque.

* In nearly 30 years of motoring,fixing 95% of my/family/other mates cars, I've never put so much work into fixing French stuff... cars AND bikes :roll:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I would say that most of the "money pit" costs of Xantias is due to poor servicing, and that's even with full service history.
Spheres and LHM don't get changed when they need to be, putting more stress on the pump etc.
Seals, now 10 years old, start failing and need replacing.
Cam belt and water pump need changing, heater matrix is old and leaking, radiator starts dribbling.
Clutch wears out.
It all adds up, but once done, you have a car that doesn't need anything major for another 10 years.

That makes Xantias worth it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

In many ways the answers sugest the xantia is the better car ?

too me i think its simpler eg no dual mass flywheel, complicated emmision controls.

but as you say they are getting older,but mine has no rust,yet !

Work i have done recently is timming belt,tensioner,water pump. clutch, all rear sphears,LHM fluid change being done this week.
at the moment i am having work done by garages as i have nt got the confedence yet to do the work myself, i have found this forum invalueable for advice.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Stick with the Xantia basically.
You'll spend less and it looks better :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

I'm not going to repeat what everyone has said but just to offer one or two opinions having owned both: the Xantia looks and rides better whilst offering better all round driving visibility. For a big car, the Xantia is far easier to park than the C5 IMHO. And as far as DIY servicing goes - the C5 frightens the life out of me in a way the Xantia never did.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

RichardW wrote: Not driven a C5 much - but I do fancy the idea of a 2.2 HDi twin turbo with >170 BHP!
Very good idea to want one too. Fab driveability, Hydractive 3+ suspension and mine averaged 46mpg over the last 18 months.

I've no plans to sell it though.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Xantias dont rust either !!! :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o