ZX Doors won't shut when its freezing.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fishtales
My Cars:

ZX Doors won't shut when its freezing.

Post by Fishtales »

Hi everyone.

I have looked high and low for a solution to this one but with no luck, surprising as we have had three Zx's in the family and all have shown the same problem.

Everything works fine throughout the year, the central locking works OK and the doors open, close and stay closed with no problems. Sometimes when it is freezing the central locking will work fine and the doors open as usual with no problems, unfortunately when we try to close the door they just bounce open (I have driven to work several times with bungees holding the doors closed!). It appears that the catch that keeps the door closed does not release when the door is closed, it will release itself once the car gets warm or if we warm the lock mechanism up with a 12V heater, as this often happens on several doors it takes some time the thaw out.

I have tried WD40 when the door is working to try and expel any moisture or dirt that is in the catch, nothing has worked.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix or do I need to buy a new set of door catches?

As winter is now approaching I would like to get it sorted.

Cheers and thanks in advance.
His: 2002 XSARA 1.4LX
Hers: 1998 1.4ZX
Had: 1992 1.4 ZX 156000 miles and still going strong.
BX Athena 1.6
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It happened a couple of time with my Saxo last winter. Hope you get it sorted --- then you can tell me!
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

That's a peculiar one; perhaps try pulling it out, give it a good spray and fill it up with some liquid grease.
Should keep things from getting stuck and keep moisture out.
WD-40 is handy stuff, but I find it's not terribly good to keep things lubricated for very long.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

One of our ZXs did this (or was it both....I can't remember!) I do remember stripping the door lock out in the dark and fog at around 0°C - which rather tested my faith in bangernomics! From what I remember just taking the lock out and giving it a really good clean and then lube with spray grease or something sorted it out. It's not that hard to get the lock out of a ZX door.
Richard W
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

Our zx does this - incredibly annoying!! I hope there is a quick easy fix for it.
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Mine did this last winter. Slamming it a bit harder worked (was trying not to make too much noise early in the morning). I also had the central locking not work on occasions. It took me a while to realise that the door wasn't just frozen shut! I really hope we don't have a repeat this winter...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I've had the same problem on a few cars. It usually helps to take the lock right off the door, give it a good clean and dose with WD40 checking the action as you go. Also don't forget the little rods, arms, levers and bellcranks inside the door itself that connect the handles to the lock. Give them a good lube as well! :)
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I've had this problem as well on my ZX. If it's the lock that's the problem, then I've found Halfords Lock De-Icer to be good. I use it in the summer and winter, whenever my locks start to give problems. I think it's got a lubricant in it. I bought mine years ago so I'm not sure if they still sell the same one now. It's a dark blue mini aerosol tin, with a dark blue lid. Size 50ml. It says "HF11" on the side. It's got a white flat nozzle shaped to go in the lock.

This is the closest one they do now:-

Halfords De-Icer

Paul
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

As with Richard's post. Every car I've owned needs the lock barrels dismantling and lubricating as a regular service item, plus removing the locks themselves and the same doing to them.

Say, every five years or so. Whan I had a ZX, no different.

WD40 might solve the immediate problem, but it is not a lubricant and will wash any remaining lubricant away and exacerbate the problem.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Using WD40 on anything electrical or plastic is a waste of effort. WD40, once the active ingridients have evaporated, leaves a sticky, messy deposit that can act as an insulating film over electrical contacts. These may add resistance to an already weakened lock motor and is known to attack certain grades of plastic, causing fractures and failures.

Electronic or electrical switch cleaner is the ideal solution to use as it will clean off any deposits, clean and lubricate contacts and does not attack plastics. Many of the connector rods in door assemblies are fitted with nylon bushings, these do not need lubrication! :roll:

As for the crap lock barrels supplied with many Citroens, they can be flushed through with either methylated spirits or switch cleaner and then lubricated with graphite dust. Anything else just f##ks up the tumblers and produces advanced wear or sticking.

If you must use grease on the lock mechanism use low melting point and keep it away from the door frame or shuts. Too much will get you into SWMBOs bad books when she gets grease on her nice expensive coat! :shock:

Hope this helps. :D

Handyman
Fishtales
My Cars:

Thanks

Post by Fishtales »

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll give then a good clean and grease before I think about buying new ones.

Any recommendations what I could soak them in to clean them?
His: 2002 XSARA 1.4LX
Hers: 1998 1.4ZX
Had: 1992 1.4 ZX 156000 miles and still going strong.
BX Athena 1.6