C5 1.6 Radiator Fan low speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

C5 1.6 Radiator Fan low speed

Post by mooseshaver »

While playing with my Lexia I found a fault in the injectors section saying the fan does not spin at low speed (forget exact error)
I did the actuator test, I can make the fan spin at high speed, but not a low speed.
I presume its the dreaded 1.6HDi fan relay problem. Can someone tell me where these relays live? Can you jsut yank them out and replace them?
I have an extended warranty for my car, but no garage around here wants to deal with them :(
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

C5 fan

Post by Richard Stevens »

The relays are directly behind the grill, towards the rh side as you look in, mounted vertically behind their own cover.
My C5 is a facelift model and I know that I would have to remove the bumper to get at them - not sure about yours, but probably the same. It's frustrating as you can see them through the grill and from above by raising the top cover over the radiator (part of bumper removal), but you can't get your hands in.
I'm told there is a Service Bulleting concerning the relays, not sure of its content, but relays are well known for needing a good clean of connectors etc and these face all the weather.
Good luck
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

It went to the dealers Yesterday, and they told me the car only has one speed programmed into it, and that speed is working.
Wonder if there is a word they use for people with pretend Lexias inventing faults?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.