Xantia handbrake light + rattling exhuast

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia handbrake light + rattling exhuast

Post by Fox »

Hiya!
Not posted for a while which is always a good sign (In the nicest possible way!) [:)]
Got in my car today though, stared at the glowplug light, and noticed something odd. No handbrake light! Handbrake still works perfectly, just no light. I think its probably the bulb. I hear this is a terrible job and probably not worth the effort? Any ideas?
Also, ever since I got the car the exhuast has rattled. When you first start it when it idles it makes a horrid metallic rattling sound, and makes my poor little Xant sound an old banger. Putting your foot on the tailpipe or raising the revs to about 1k stops it. A mate of mine who's usually spot on reckons it's something as simple as a rubber mountythingy? Does this round about right? If so, how easy is it to change on the drive, can't seem to find anything on it in the Haynes Book of Lies :) What else could it be?
Ta!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I have a bulb gone in my dash, it's the headlight one, it can stay blown as far as I'm concerned !
With regards to your exhaust, I have a similar rattle ( although nowhere near as bad ), this is caused by the rearmost mounting being loose. The problem being that the holes the bolts go through are gently rusting, and the bolts are then free to move a little.
The only way to get at them is to take the back bumper off, by undoing the bolts through the rear wheelarches.
Mat.
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Once youve taken the back bumper off is it a relitivly straightforward job? Is there a way to confirm it's definately that mounting before I take my bumper off?