Xantia 2.1TD Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stevie27

Xantia 2.1TD Exclusive

Post by Stevie27 »

I have a 98 2.1TD xantia. Was driving down the road and the engine revved itself and conked out there was a click noise before it died. Now the car will not accelerate, it will will rev to 2000rpm and conk out. It is also revving itself up and down on idle there was constant blue smoke as it was revving then when it revved it and conked out there was a puff of white smoke. Was told its the electronic valve in the diesel pump or the pump itself. Anyone have any ideas? Or a friggin spare pump? Any help appreciated
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

I'd guess this has a Lucas Epic pump, Jim's favourite so I think he'll know best but check to make sure there's no air leaks into the fuel feed, I'm pretty sure the Epic's don't like this.

Steve.
not applicable
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Check for air getting into the fuel lines, usual suspect is the primer bulb. If the fuel lines are original you may have a clear plastic pipe running from the primer to the pump where you'll be able to observe the above.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
Stevie27

Post by Stevie27 »

There is air pockets in the clear tube on the top of the fuel pump. There is a bleed valve there. Should I try and bleed it? im going to change the fuel filter aswell.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Change the filter first and then try it, if the filter has become blocked it will cause air to be sucked in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Another common source of air ingress is the leakoff pipes; the ones daisy-chained between injectors. These must be absolutely 100% on the EPIC and often you'll find the blanking cap on the end of No.1 injector has perished.

As said, EPICs hate dirty fuel filters.

The pump itself should be fine unless you've been running on "exotic" fuels. They last for ever and a day on DERV but start putting veg or bio through them and they will quicky throw their toys.

If all air ingress possibilities do not unearth the cause, an ESOS valve inside the pump may have failed. It is a potentila DIY job to repair.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I knew he knew!

Steve.
not applicable
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

steelcityuk wrote:I knew he knew!

Steve.
Not much he doesn't know :)
mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

If changing the fuel filter doesn't do the job check the intank strainer, they will both put extra strain on the fuel system of there blocked.
If you've still got air in the system after this it could be that the fuel filter housing isn't sealing at the base.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stevie27

Post by Stevie27 »

At has seemed to fix the fault. I primed the system and bled it just took a while lol. But now the car is revving up and down between 1800rpm-2000rpm by itself! :x Ive checked the oil and the hydraulic level etc and they are ok lol any ideas? :idea:

Much appreciated by the way for all the help given :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stevie27 wrote:But now the car is revving up and down between 1800rpm-2000rpm by itself! :x
That is classic symptoms of air ingress. As siad, EPICs are very sensitive to air as it upsets its hydraulics. You MUST fix this as if it gets worse the air ingress can cause a destructive runaway on these pumps. That's a condition whereby the engine revs uncontrollably faster and faster and switching off the ignition may not bring things to a stop.

Check and check again all the points mentioned. The fact you've had to bleed it almost guarantees air is getting in. Look carefully at the translucent fuel lines running to the pump for air bubbles.

A favourite has to be the leakoffs. If one or more injectors are wet with diesel, replace them all, especially the leakoff blanking cap on the last injector.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Don't know if the EPICs have one but on the Bosch 2.1's there is a fuel heater on the side of the head this was notorious for leaking air on XM's

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

cachaciero wrote:Don't know if the EPICs have one but on the Bosch 2.1's there is a fuel heater on the side of the head this was notorious for leaking air on XM's

cachaciero
Fortunately not on the Xantia but it's more than made up for by the number of joints in the line between the primer bulb and pump; any of which can leak...
Jim

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td »

I forgot to mention in my earlyer post that air can sometimes leak in through the filter thurmostat (these units are heated), it's on the left hand side of the filter houseing behind the round bit with a spring clip type thing that holds it in, inside this is an O ring and these sometimes let air in.
To seal this you need to drain the filter houseing, clean it up with some solvent and then smear some diesel resistant sealant over the top, leave the sealant to dry before refiling the filter.

If you still have the same problem after you have stopped all the air getting into the system I have a spair pump if you need it.
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;