xantia 99 1.8i revolution counter problem please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zako
My Cars:

xantia 99 1.8i revolution counter problem please help

Post by zako »

Hi all
I have a xantia year 1999 with a 1.8i engine. My problem is that the revolution counter is high. the indication touches the 10 unit and it consumes fuel. My second problem is that when lifting the car by the hydrolic switch and put it back to normal position, it stays high level at the back side but the front it is ok back to normal position. Please help me guys
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Zako,

I don't know how the idle is adjusted on your Xantia but has it always been like that or is it a recent occurance? With all petrol cars I've owned, the first thing I do is clean all the breathers, throttle body and Idle control valves to remove the oily gunk they tend to collect. The benefits are usually self-evident so perhaps you should start there. An air leak can lead to high idle too. A simple test for this is to, with the engine idling, spray all external intake joints with something like WD40 and when/if this finds it's way into a leak will temporarily seal it and the idle will drop, pinpointing the leak.

As for the suspension, this fault is usually caused by either a sticking height corrector or more likely, the linkage (a small white plastic "dogbone") that has disconnected itself - usually due to the stiff height corrector.

WARNING: If you venture underneath any Xantia, do make sure the car chassis is properly supported as the suspension can drop the car on you without warning.