Xantia: Pump, Regulator or Doseur fault?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Xantia: Pump, Regulator or Doseur fault?

Post by addo »

Scenario: "STOP" light and buzzer almost constantly on when driving. Pump running almost constantly. Rear dips when braking, and is slow to recover once stopped.

Good LHM fluid level, no leaks larger than persistent occasional drips from the reg return, 55+ Bar in the accumulator - tested today.

Is brazing a safe way to tee into hydraulic lines for a (temporary) gauge fitment?

Thanks, Adam.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Adam

Check the return pipes to the LHM reservoir, sounds as though you have quite a high leakage on something. If its happened suddenly I think it unlikely that it would be deterioration of the supply system.

I have silver soldered a hydraulic pipe which is about the same temperature as brazing so I would think it was OK, you really need a proper 'T' piece to put in for strength.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hi Peter, looks like it was a dying rear corner sphere. I rechecked the LHM and no visible signs of heavy loss - yet it was now down more than half a pint.

I'd been conned on the fluid level, by only glancing when the car was depressurised for accumulator removal/testing.

Found a nice gauge for $45 that goes to 400 bar; should be good for testing pump feed pressure.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bad to worse? Definitely a crook sphere, but the doseur inner seal has expired, too - I've now the "100K mile LHM footwell event" signed off in my book.

Looking forward to an enforced cleanup of things!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's nasty Adam,

LHM in a footwell makes a horrible mess :twisted:

Get to it quick or it'll start eating the sound deadening on the floorpan and turning it to a gooey black mass :twisted:

Been there, done it, got the teeshirt :(

On the plus-side, LHM washes out of the carpet and foam reasonably well...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm already blotting it up, carpets/foam out and sprayed with laundry degreaser.

Think I'll do the big jobs all in one go - new firewall insulation, heater core, evaporator.

Do you think braking technique affects the seal's life? I brake hard and sharply for weight transfer or to force a downshift, but seldom hold the pedal for more than an instant - prefer to let the gearbox and chassis geometry take care of the rest. Wondering if those who feather the brake enjoy a longer seal life.