C5 Hdi rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andybsmith

C5 Hdi rear suspension

Post by andybsmith »

Had an interesting phone call from the dealer who was/is changing a suspension pipe on my C5. Apparently both rear cylinders had failed and were forming pools of fluid on the floor, is it possible for both to fail at the same time bearing in mind that this car has only done 62k. Also the car had a service at the same dealers two weeks ago, so is it feasible that this fault has occurred within two weeks. And why are there no pools of oil on my drive, mind you the same dealer also quoted £278 for rear discs and £85 for a front drop link. i got the parts on ebay for a total price of £45 and fitted them after struggling with the calliper bolts. I've read some of the threads on rear cylinder/suspension problems but I don't quite follow how to bleed the system after changing the seals and gaiter. Any help or advice welcome on this "fault" (or is it just a dealer looking to make a fast buck?)
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i fitted two rear spheres to a new customers XANTIA a month or so ago,

he had allready been somewere elss to have this done and was told, the car needed both rear suspenssion units replaceing as they are one piece units with the sphere's, :roll:

this story dose have a relavant point i hope,

when i got under there they had obviously attemted to remove at least one of the sphere's, as the susspension unit had been wrenched round so hard and far it had mangled the the support bracket and bent the susspension feed pipe at a tight right angle,

it was not long also before i had a large pudlle of citro blood on my workshop floor,

i found this to be were they had rotated the susspension unit so far it had yanked the plastic vent and leakage return pipes out of they S/U gaitor,
this is were the leak was comming from, pluged them back in which stopped the leak,

so maybe they have done simmilar on your car even though they have not fitted new sphere's

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The garage seems to be better at fairy tails than repairing cars. I'd take it somewhere else.
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

Had a call from them this afternoon, your car is finished the leak stopped when the mechanic put the pipe back on. Hmmmm how many people would have told them to change the cylinders when they mentioned the leak, my car will never darken their ramps again thats for sure. The original fault was the main hydraulic pipe from the pump backwards, far too involved for me and very expensive £221 just for the part. I haven't had a chance to inspect the cylinders or gaiters yet.
Last edited by andybsmith on 07 Sep 2010, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

At least it ended reasonably well.

A lesson learned!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Was this a Citroen dealership? Not that I'd be surprised like...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto