rad fans change?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

rad fans change?

Post by deano1970 »

ok,my local garage says both fans in front of radiatir are knackered. I tried cleaning the contacts on the relays just in front of radiator but im still getting temp light flashing and "stop" light flashing with it when i turn the heaters on,and it appears neither of the fans are coming on.....is it a big job to change these and are they expensive to buy? I spent quite a lot on this car recently and it's trying my patience to be honest.....lol....thanks for any help........
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

The STOP light means what it says - keep driving and you'll add a blown head gasket to your woes.

Try a breaker for replacement fans and relays - I've got a scrapper the right age with all the bits still on it, but I'm the other end of the country.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Fan change is a little involved, you NEED to get the Rads - and if a TD With Air Con - ALL 3 rads need to come out to get at the fixing screws for each fan....

Typical french.. OR, if you are rather clever, if you use a quarter inch 10mm socket with two flats groung on them then with a 13mm spanner you can work through the Fan gaps to get at the bolts without rad removal...(Thanks for Citrojim for that very handy tip!!) you could be working a little blind though..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Prior to pulling out the fans why not test them in situ by bridging the contacts directly? Also check the voltage/earthing points to ensure than verdigris has not corroded the wiring.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

Common problem. They have gone!
Replacement is nuckle grazing @ £100 each also expensive.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
thruppy
My Cars:

rad fans

Post by thruppy »

one went on my 97 td last month got one for a tenner from scrap yard nightmare to fit rad intercooler aircon come out wiring loom back to fuse box all for 3 fan nuts did it with lots of cussing and swearing but it can be done good luck
mark6588
1.9td vsx xantia saloon
1.8 lx xantia est
current:1.9 td xantia saloon
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

Post by deano1970 »

well,shame that.don't think im gonna spend anymore money on it. is it ok to use without them working? the engine runs fine and normal temp,I guess summer would be the problem if it gets hot or stuck in a traffic jam....wish i hadn't just had 6 new spheres on the thing now...thanks for the advice.....
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

deano1970 wrote:well,shame that.don't think im gonna spend anymore money on it. is it ok to use without them working? the engine runs fine and normal temp,I guess summer would be the problem if it gets hot or stuck in a traffic jam....wish i hadn't just had 6 new spheres on the thing now...thanks for the advice.....
What was the result in trying DickieG's suggestion?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Look in the sor sale section, someone is selling rad fans for £10, not bad!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Ive done three from the front - all S2 cars including an Activa. My adapted socket has a hex ground on the outside so you can use a ratchet ring spanner with it.

Don't lose the little star washer in centre, and remember the fan centre screw is LH thread.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
Have had some feedback from Dean with his problem with the temp light coming on when he uses the interior fan/blower. along with the fact that his cooling fans are not working.
Bearing in mind the car in question is a Xantia HDi mk2 (1999 i think :oops: ) the following is part of our discussions :)

"yes,the temp light only comes on if the heaters are switched on. It is very much now in the decline with regard to the number of times this happens,not doing it as much as it was. Strange thing is, when it does do it, I tried doing what you suggested,I switch it from de mist to,well,anything else,down to feet or anywhere,as soon as it gets moved from the demist position,the temp light stops,as I suspect you thought it just might. But what does this now mean? does it mean that it is the fan that works the aircon that is faulty? if this is the case,well I can live with that and just open a window if we are lucky enough to warrant such an action,aircon doesn't really bother me. You suggest that with later mkII models the aircon is switched on automatically when set to demist,and this theory seems to pan out as true because when the slider is then moved,the light goes off"

Now ive no experience of HDis but im pretty sure its the blue sensor that controls the temp light but not sure where its located :oops:

I reckon that the fault lies with either the fans not working at all or an electrical fault.
Not heard back yet as to what if anything happens when the HP/LP switch is bridged with regards to fans but anyone got any other ideas

Colin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The blue sensor is on the thermostat housing.
With slider on demist, or with aircon switched on, the fans must go to low speed almost immediately, before the compressor starts turning, and irrespective of the blue sensor’s temperature.
The HP/LP switch doesn’t start the low speed.
If there’s excess pressure in the aircon circuit, the HP switch closes to send the fans to high speed.
Looks like a fan fault, probably not spinning at low speed with the aircon on.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thats what i thought Clogzz but if Dean shorts the correct wires on the HP/LP switch the fans should run at slow speed for a second or so before they go full chat.
Hopefully that will eliminate/prove what the fans are actually doing.

Only a guess on my part though :) :)

Colin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Colin,

A second or two of low speed always comes before the fans go to high speed.
That goes by switching on the top right low speed relay first, then the other two together.

No experience with the Mk II, so my guess :) is that the ECU senses that the low speed relay coil doesn’t carry current, and goes to temperature alert.
When closing the HP switch, the top right relay must be heard and felt to click.
If it does click shut without starting the fans, then the ECU can sense lack of fan current from a series resistor, which isn’t likely.

The low speed relay has a permanent supply from a 5A fuse, but don’t know where it is on the Mk II, and the ECU will find out if it’s blown.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389