Muffler corroded inside ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Muffler corroded inside ?

Post by Xantia2.0 »

I'm just double checking something before I decide what to do. When I start the car up there is a buzzing sound coming from the muffler. Like the Trotters van! :lol:

Since the exhaust has no holes in it I suspect the actual internals of the muffler has corroded with age or with water sitting inside it (would explain why it had smoke that time too).

I think I'll get it booked in for a new muffler, but before I do I want to make sure that is the problem! When I shake the exhaust from side to side there is a sound like there is lots of loose rust or something moving from side to side inside the muffler.
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They do corrode from the inside out ;)

The noise you hear when shaking is broken or loose baffles, a good sign that internally at least its about finished its life.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

And could explain the buzzing noise. Loose baffles can also obstruct the exhaust flow with a noticeable effect on economy and performance.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Yes I was going to mention the car has lost its power recently. It also gets very very loud over 4,000RPM.
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

This is a 98 petrol? So it should have a Catalytic Converter.

By the American term 'muffler', do you mean the Silencer or the Cat?

Where in the exhaust system is the 'box' in question?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

It is the silencer at the back. I think the catalytic converter is on it's way out as well as it only just passed the emissions on it's MOT but that's another story! Right now I just need to know for sure if the muffler (silencer) is to fault so I can replace it!
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Well it's booked in to get the muffler replaced at 10am today. I will also find out if the catcon is on its way out because the garage I go to always does a mini-check of the cars tyres, steering, exhaust and lights before letting the car go.

Update:

Well I'm back (got the car in a wee bit early plus they did the job fast as there was no other cars there at the time), Cost me £77 including a free 1 year warranty. Not bad I say! And if you listen to the exhaust now it is a hum not a buzz! Lovely Jubbly

Oh and here is the results of the mini check-up they gave the car:

Tyre tread measurements:

N/S Front - 8.9mm - Michelin Energy Saver dated 06 2010
O/S Front - 8.9mm - Michelin Energy Saver dated 06 2010
N/S Rear - 9.1mm - Michelin Energy Saver dated 06 2010
O/S Rear - 9.1mm - Michelin Energy Saver dated 06 2010
Spare Tyre - N/A - N/A

Exhaust system:

Back Box - In good order
Catalytic Converter - Requires replacing (excessive CO emissions)
Entire system, overal conclusion - Requires repair to meet VOSA standards

Steering:

Track rod ends -
N/S - Good
O/S - Good

Constant Velocity Joint Gaiters -
N/S - Starting to show signs of deterioration
O/S - Good

Overall condition of the steering - Good

Notes:

O/S Front wheel bearing feels rough when rotated - Serious.
N/S Rear wheel bearing has play in wheel - Advisory.
Hand brake requires little effort - Advisory.

Overall condition and roadworthiness of the vehicle - Requires some repairs to be roadworthy.

As I thought they did pick up on the CatCon. Before the vehicle left I asked them to print me off an emissions test and here it is:

NATURAL IDLE - CO LEVELS: MAX 0.200% ACTUAL VALUE 0.491
FAST IDLE - CO EVELS: MAX 0.200% ACTUAL VALUE 0.566

Yes... I would say the catalytic converter was pretty knackered then wouldn't you !?

Luckily it passed the last MOT so I can keep driving it the way it is legally until the MOT comes up again in 11 months. Well technically it's an offence to drive a car you know is polluting the environment beyond the legal limit but as long as I keep stum about it I'll be fine and just say "Really!?" if the police pulled me over for it, though I doubt they would as it's not something you can see visably.