C5 brakes problem help needed urgent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skinhead
My Cars:

C5 brakes problem help needed urgent

Post by skinhead »

just had my front pads & disces replaced but pedal feels soft/spongy & pedal sinks to floor if heavy pressure held on it
Garage says (after re bleeding & no air in system)) that its due to new pads need to bed in
seem to remember some one else had simler problem.can any one advise please
supposed to be going away with caravan tommorow :roll:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Never had that symptom on mine after pads/discs were replaced.

Give it a bit of a run with some heavy braking and see if that cures it, otherwise I'd be very wary of dragging a van around.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I don't really follow why the brakes would need bleeding after changing the pads.

However to bleed the brakes properly on a C5 a Lexia is required to open a couple of valves in the ABS bit of the system.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
skinhead
My Cars:

Post by skinhead »

I'v just took it out for a run & tried some realy heavy braking,it stops fine & the anti lock system cuts in,but if the foot pressure is held on the pedal it gradually goes to the floor.I know its not right but the garage insist they will firm up.Im at a loss as what to do now apart from take to another garage
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If the pedal is sinking to the floor when stationary there is definitely a fault.
My guess would be seals weeping somewhere, Master cylinder would be the first suspect unless you can see any fluid leaking from the calipers.

As cachaciero has said, a diagnostic computer is really needed to open some internal valves. The quick and dirty way is to open the bleed nipples while winding/pushing back the pistons and allowing excess brake fluid to escape there, otherwise it is forced back into the ABS system with potentially serious results.

Are they Citroen qualified at all?
skinhead
My Cars:

Post by skinhead »

cachaciero wrote:I don't really follow why the brakes would need bleeding after changing the pads.

However to bleed the brakes properly on a C5 a Lexia is required to open a couple of valves in the ABS bit of the system.

cachaciero
at the risk of seeming an idiot.whats a Lexia ??? :idea:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

skinhead wrote:
cachaciero wrote:I don't really follow why the brakes would need bleeding after changing the pads.

cachaciero
at the risk of seeming an idiot.whats a Lexia ??? :idea:
Citroen dedicated diagnostic computer.
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i noticed mine was like that a while ago, bleeding the back helped and i have a better pedal since replacing disks and pads but i havn't noticed the pedal going down since, it hasn't been a problem they work fine, although under heavy braking before the new disks and pads the pedal did go down a bit but the car stopped fine, but the disks were well past their best pads were only a few months old, pads were ftted just before i bought it.
i'll try mine tomorrow and see if its the same
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

this sounds like exactly the same fault i have with a F*A*T SCUD O (PSA under the skin) but non ABS,

also seems to have startted after fitting front pads,

i fitted a new master cylinder and the fault is still there after presure bleeding twice,

regards malcolm
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Have you noticed any liquid sort of stains on the wheels?
When I had my brakes done I was told they felt spongy because the pads needed bedded in. Same symptoms as you.
I knew something was wrong, and I saw the liquid stains on one wheel. They started in the middle and spread out with driving.
Can you check the brake fluid level then press the brakes lots then check level again?
I took mine back with these evidence and was told the mechanic had maybe got dirt in the system when they changed the pads.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.