not quite PSA but

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

not quite PSA but

Post by citronut »

its actualy a 06 F*A* SCUD O camper van but under the skin it is pug 806,cit synergy 1.9 PSA lump,

the problem im haveing is i fitted new front pads the day after the MOT had advised they were low,

non ABS so you would think srtaight forward enough :roll:

i hadnt noticed before the new pads but now if you hold the brake pedel hard with engine running it gradualy sinks almost to the floor,

i have now fitted a new master cylinder and presure bled it twice alowing about and hour between for it to settle???,

and it still sinks almost the same,

i spoke to the guy at the garage i use for my MOT's and he says some of the VW's and VA*X*H*LL's do this as normal, and there is even something about it in the VOSA rules, he sudgested i call our local PUG dealer to ask there advice, there technician said the same,

i still dont think its right,

anyone got any clues

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They are softer with new pads (most cars are) , assuming the rest of the system is OK.

They will improve after a few miles. If in doubt, clamp the rear flexi hoses (carefully, with the proper tool) and then examine the brake pedal again.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks Andy but i belive these are a bit worse than just soft,

the owner has got it back and has a ferrie crosasing booked to go to irland for a week

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

Are the rear drums out of adjustment ?

As if they are a bit 'far' anyway (you know what I mean) then with new fronts the pedal will feel bad.

Clamp the rear hoses to eliminate them, then feel the pedal ;) , if the pedal is reasonable with the rears clamped, remove the clamps and adjust the rears up (whip drums off and wind up a bit, refit drums) as normal. :)
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure its not just the rear's out of adjustment, if this were the case the pedel would become firm by pumping the pedel,

the pedel continuse to sink if you keep the presure on

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:im sure its not just the rear's out of adjustment, if this were the case the pedel would become firm by pumping the pedel,

the pedel continuse to sink if you keep the presure on

regards malcolm
Haven't you had this before Malcolm and traced it to a dud master cylinder?

At least you're not on your own with this today.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've got similar issues on a car at present and there is evidence pointing to master failure.

More specifically, the poppet valve that seals the master internally - rather than the piston seals themselves.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes Steve i have seen these symtons before and agree,

as i have fitted a new master cylinder and gone round it twice with the presure bleed bleed bleed bleed bleed, before and after lunch,

regards malcolm
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Malcoln,

Posted the same problem with my Synergie on the forum a good few months ago if you remember. http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ight=Front pads changed and pedal sinks to the floor. New master cylinder fitted and problem persists. I came to the conclusion that the problem was there before the the pads were changed only I had not noticed because in normal day to day use, you never actually apply long, constant pressure to the brakes.
The car has since passed MOT with no mention of brake issue and probably done 10k miles so I assume that it is safe if not perfect.

I would like to know what the answer is should you ever get to the bottom of it.

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

My 306 TD does this, I can't recall where I found it but basically that is supposed to be normal, I believe it's something to do with the vacuum pump making more and more vacuum the longer you hold the pedal down, and that makes the pedal easier to push down. Something along those lines anyway, certainly nothing to worry about (assuming yours feels like mine does)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thanks guy's

but in my experiance this SCUD O definetly has a problem as the pedel is not firm at the start, and dose not feel safe to me,

trouble is the owner has taken it away as she had it booked on a ferry to Irland,

she is fully aware im not happy and on her return will proceed to try and find the fix,

when i see it next i intend clampping each flexy hose off at a time, to see if one cornner or another shows the symtons,

then go from there

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

You will hopefully find once the new front brakes have bedded in fully over some miles, the problem will be either reduced (if there is a problem still, I'm kind of 50/50 but if you are not happy that's good enough for me, I don't dis-belive you just find it strange that there is still an issue) or gone away.

Will be interested to know what you have found anyway when you get it back. :)
Andy.