Oil blowing turbo.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Oil blowing turbo.

Post by mbunting »

This post is for those who are curious about turbos...
Having diagnosed a blown turbo ( and with a replacement on it's way ), I decided to take the turbo and manifold off the car ( 1.9TD ) this afternoon.
Oil poured from the exhaust manifold, there was no trace of oil on the back of the head gasket, or the manifold gasket, which seems to be a good indicator that the problem is internal to the turbo.
After taking the turbo off the manifold ( siezed bolts ), it was now time to take the turbo apart [}:)]
The housing came off the air side, to reveal a slight trace of oil in the housing, and what could be termed as "vulcanised rubber" which was on the side.
We couldn't get the exhaust side off, but we noticed that the blades would not turn freely on the air side. I know there was no oil running, but even so, it took a lot of effort to get the thing moving.
Anyway, that's it, apart from it's going off to a workshop tonight to get the elbow off that connects it to the exhaust middle section.
Assuming the replacement turbo arrives, the car should be running over the weekend.
Mat.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mat -
I'm happy to read you finally found the definitive problem on your Xantia TD.
Now time (& a hole in your wallet) will soon get it going again [:)]
Waiting for your AX project then ...[:D]
- will be interesting to learn if a few valves replaced will do it.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

THANKS for reminding me of the other project.
Talk about kicking a man when he's just about to get up again !