citroen dispatch van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bluemonkey

citroen dispatch van

Post by bluemonkey »

am sorry if this in the wrong section, it is my first post

have recently bought a R reg 1.9 td van it has done 220.000 miles and still runs good, and will pull away when run

i have a few little problems, that i dont think are serious, but i want to just double check

1 the stop sign when the ignition is on (not running) flashes is this normal

2 recently it takes ages to start and is really cloudy (grey) but when started it will start fine, is this my heater plugs, as i dont think it is the turbo as it pulls well and is only cloudy on start up but has only been happening the last 3 days

3 when driving and i take my foot of the accelator there is like a knocking noise from under the van, just 1 knock, any ides, nothing seems broken, but have been told to replace the gear linkage will this be the cause

thanks for everyones help

darren
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Darren and welcome :D

Yes, glowplugs most likely are the cause of poor initial starting. It you have no past history of having them replaced than it's a good first step, especially with winter coming on.

Other causes (if you have a Bosch injection pump) are perished leakoff pipes (those little black pipes daisychained between the injectors) allow air ingress or an air leak on the suction side of the fuel system.

Tomorrow morning, try pumping the primer bulb a few times before trying a start to see if this improves things. If it does, you have an air leak anywhere between the primer bulb, the fuel filter and the pump. Often the pipes are translucent and you'll be able to see if air is present as it'll show up as big bubbles.

The bump you hear is most likely the lower engine mount donut having see the best of its days and allowing the engine to rock excessively. Often they die because they become saturated in oil for one reason or another.

Sorry, no idea about the STOP light flashing. As long as it's off when running them I'd not worry overly about it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I 'think' they can flash on these models if a door is ajar etc, but as Jim has said if its not on when engine = running its not likely to be serious.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
bluemonkey

Post by bluemonkey »

cheers guys, that was quick replies, silly question what is the primer bulb?
spider

Post by spider »

The black squeezy bulb to prime the fuel system.

Will look a bit like this

Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

In the morning, switch ignition on (to position 2) then go and squeeze that about half a dozen times

By the time you get back in, turn the ignition off, wait a few seconds then turn it back again to (2) and wait for glowplug light to go out then try to start it.
Andy.

bluemonkey

Post by bluemonkey »

cheers, if it then first up first time with out loads of smoke, what is the prob new spark plugs?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bluemonkey wrote:cheers guys, that was quick replies, silly question what is the primer bulb?
It's the rubber bulge in the fuel line and will be visible under the bonnet. The idea is that if you squeeze it, it acts as a pump and will draw diesel up into the filter and pump.

It's designed to prime the system should it run dry of diesel.

The photo below shows one at the end of the green arrow. This is a Xantia 2.1TD engine bay but yours will look similar and be in about the same place.

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Andy, you and I both posting at the same time there!!!

Darren, if she fires up first time after pumping the primer then you have an air leak on the suction side of your fuel supply line or the leakoff pipes are persished.

If the fault remains unchanged then glowplugs.

A sure sign that it is the glowplugs is to observe the exhaust whilst cranking over trying to sart. If the exhaust smokes white/grey smoke before it starts or even fires, then you can almost be certain it's the glowplugs at fault.

White/grey smoke denotes unburned diesel. If there is an air ingress problem, you'll see no smoke a all until after the engine eventually starts.

let us know how you get on...
Jim

bluemonkey

Post by bluemonkey »

cheers, i will report my resutls first thing in the morning
bluemonkey

Post by bluemonkey »

went out to try it and pumped bulb tillit went hard, then started whilst it was trying to start smokes was coming out of the exhaust, so am going to replace the glow plugs this week

cheers guys