Opening a garage, What tool do I need to have

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AbangCorp
My Cars:

Opening a garage, What tool do I need to have

Post by AbangCorp »

Dear All,

My friend started his garage by only having 2,500 euros equivalent to 10,000malaysian ringgit, the price i could not ever imagine

so i would like to open for suggestion to the floor what do you think tools needed for starting a auto garage / workshop. example what ever obstruction wrench size 13mm is a must

if you can start with a detailed one better since i'm focusing on citroen & other continental / european model

This is what my friend did before

Hand tools, i'm not quite sure what
2 set of axle stand
pneumatic impact wrench - im going for electric one, cheaper
air compressor
a banner for shop label
shop rent & deposit (this consume the most)

Thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A few years ago very few tools were needed, I have repaired my cars for 50 years or more with a very basic toolkit, set of spanners, trolly jack and socket set, with a few special tools like ball joint seperators.

The problem now is that there is so much electronic equipment on modern cars that you need a code reader and the necessary data just to find what the problem is.

I was in the TV repair trade all my working life and that has virtually come to an end because of the way they are now built which makes economical repair no longer viable, cars are going the same way I'm afraid.

Peter
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Re: Opening a garage, What tool do I need to have

Post by HDI Dave »

AbangCorp wrote: example what ever obstruction wrench size 13mm is a must

2 set of axle stand
Sounds like Leepu and his mates; chop shop:
http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/chop-shop-2/
...make anything with a hammer and gaffer tape :lol:

Good choice on the 13mill, I have 3..and...you could always stick some weld in it, to make it fit smaller nuts/bolts :P :roll: :P
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Don't foret public liability insurance etc.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Peter.N. wrote: The problem now is that there is so much electronic equipment on modern cars that you need a code reader and the necessary data just to find what the problem is.
Which will tell you a very expensive part is broken when it's really a faulty sensor. :roll:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think a 13mm spanner is the least of your worrys,

beside's most workshops build there tools up as they go along over many years, as you will almost certainly find you have never qiut go the right tool for every job

regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Abang, no offence intended, but you have asked advice here previously on some relatively basic matters, and have also indicated that a mechanic was doing some of the repairs for you.
If you had your own garage, would you be the mechanic?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It has oft been suggested to me that I go into the trade..

One reason I don't is that it is my hobby and pastime. Doing it as a business may well end up with me hating it, cars and Citroens generally and I don't want that to happen.

My profession, the one that earns me a living, is far removed from anything to do with cars and I don't come home and practice it for pleasure.

Fact is, do a job as a trade and it cannot then be practiced as a relaxing pastime.

So my advice Abang, is don't.
citronut wrote:beside's most workshops build there tools up as they go along over many years, as you will almost certainly find you have never qiut go the right tool for every job
Absolutely right. 30 years I've been gathering and I'm still collecting. Off-times now I make my own special tools and you need the tools for that as well. Tools to make tools!

Often the exact tool you need is just not available and you have to make it. A recent case in point was a special socket for removing hydractive electrovalves...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote:It has oft been suggested to me that I go into the trade..

One reason I don't is that it is my hobby and pastime. Doing it as a business may well end up with me hating it, cars and Citroens generally and I don't want that to happen.
That's what happened with me and TVs :x
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Abang, your question reveals that you lack two of the most basic essentials for setting up as a garage: the necessary knowledge and experience.

I'm in the same, but slightly older boat, as Jim. With every change of car, I find I need to add more tools. The Xantias been a particularly expensive example: that to my 30+ years' accumulation of tools, I've had to add complete (every size from 8 to 21 mm) metric sets of sockets and spanners - instead of just all the more common sizes - a set of Torx screwdrivers plus a set of Torx and Hex ½" drive bits. And, like Jim, make a couple of special tools too.

Even so, replacing the damaged rear bumper, I found myself asking round friends in the trade for an extra deep 10mm socket (mine was 2mm too short). How to waste 2 hours....
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
AbangCorp
My Cars:

Post by AbangCorp »

:lol: when i spoke to my friend, i pin point to him the most expensive cost he is investing is his precious knowledge and experience

yup, that is why i am asking from you guys so that i don't meet the big obstacle in the making

and i am planning to build a garage & rent it out, so part time ppl like me will enjoy without big investment

i hope i can learn over time