zx boot strut fixing snapped off!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia sx auto
My Cars:

zx boot strut fixing snapped off!

Post by xantia sx auto »

Went shopping yesterday and i opened the boot but as I did the bit that the boot strut clips onto snapped cleanh off the car!
it then got jammed and was very hard to get out!
has anyone else had this happen and is there an easy fix or is it a weld job???
I've only had the car 2 days!!! and now the boot don't stay up!
HELP!!??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the post's with the ball end at both ends of the strut is availible from citroen,

which end has gone on your car,

one i have just sold had both the tailgate posts snapped off,

if it is this end mind you hold the hex base whilst undoing the smaller 11mm??? nut, as it is in two piece's one screws into the other,

the base section is more of a nutsert into the plastic laminate, and removeing this part can destroy the thread in the laminate,

if i remember corectly there is a spring steel clip on each of the ends of the struts, remove this and the broken stub/ball end should almost drop out

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Malcolm's correct, there is a spring steel clip at each end of the gas strut - they slide on/off along the axis of the strut. They can be levered off at right angles to the strut with a suitably sized screwdriver, but tend to make a wild bid for freedom! :lol: It's easier to slide them off as Citroen intended.

DO NOT WELD - the tailgate is a GRP (fibreglass) moulding, any heat and the steel insert into which the ball-end screws will simply melt a hole in the GRP.

While you're at it, grease all 4 ball joints with 'white' grease and wipe the strut shafts clean of greasy crud.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

no guys the strut is fine, it's the little bit actually on the car not the strut or tailgate that's broken!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

same applies as my earlyer post just unscrew the dead bit from the body, and screw the new one in,

or has it ripped the welded nut out of the panle,
in which case it will need re/welding

regards malcolm
xantia sx auto
My Cars:

Post by xantia sx auto »

hi there,
there are no nut heads or threads it looks like it was in some way punched in, now it's fallen out and just left a hole, looks like it'll need welding, darn it!
do you guys by any chance know where I can find out what colour my car is?? there must be a code somewhere that relates to a name?
I have found a plate under the bonnet with the vin and a load of other numbers but which one's the colour???
it's a 1993 k reg red
thanks so much
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there is ment to be a removable ball/pin/joint at each end of the both gas struts,

here is price and part No.'s for the upper and lower,

the upper being the one ending in 57

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000873357 BALL-JOINT 1.09 GBP 1.28 GBP 1.28 GBP

96041932 HOIST BALL 2.79 GBP 3.28 GBP 3.28 GBP,

maybe on your car the hole thing including the nut which should be welded into the tail gate side member has ripped clean out,

in which case it will need welding back into place,

i try to make a liveing from fixing cars/citroens, and have worked on and around citroens for many years

regards malcolm