Activa dumped all it's LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stempy wrote:
Sl4yer wrote:
Thanks for all your help guys. I'm hoping this won't cost the earth, although Activa ownership can be like that. :D

James
I think Xantia ownership in general can be like that :roll:
Yes, indeed Stempy! Activa and V6 ownership can be a bit pocket-draining at times...

But I reckon this one should not cost a fortune. We can be fairly certain it's a pipe or a junction that's gone home and that should not be a second-mortgage job for a savvy garage. The subframe can be down in a very short time...

let us know how it goes James...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:But I reckon this one should not cost a fortune. We can be fairly certain it's a pipe or a junction that's gone home and that should not be a second-mortgage job for a savvy garage.
Indeed, I had a similar leak last year in France and managed to pop the pipe back in whilst as the side of the road and its stayed there ever since (now runs outside to check) :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

:lol: ive not had this happen until today, does make a mess doesnt it, i dont think i will be opening the bonnet at the cxm :oops:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Any news on this one ?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

KevMayer wrote:Any news on this one ?
It's currently in the garage Kev, 'courtesy' of the RAC. It was quite funny really. I described the problem over the phone (hydraulic leak from in front of the rear wheel). When the man arrived, his sheet said it was a fuel leak from the tank on a GS! I remarked how a GS would be worth more!

He had a look under, and said that one of the spheres had gone. He climbed under further, and asked me to start it up! :shock: Luckily it didn't crush him, and he soon saw the leak. He revised his diagnosis to a leaking pipe, and said it would need a recovery truck. (He was also miffed that the phone operator hadn't recorded the correct information, since he would have sent for the truck straight away). I rolled it onto the road, and he added a bottle of LHM (yes, I checked!) to see if it would stay up. It didn't, and the road was green! I had enough time while waiting for the truck to clean the road up (didn't want a biker to come to grief on it).

My mother has found the stains on her newly laid drive, and is apparently unhappy. I've not been up to hear about it yet. :wink:

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sl4yer wrote: My mother has found the stains on her newly laid drive, and is apparently unhappy. I've not been up to hear about it yet. :wink:
Swarfega Oil and Grease remover in a red can with a picture of a drive on it is your friend here James.

It makes LHM stains disappear like magic :D

let us know what the garage found...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

:lol:

It's probably too late for that! It's new tarmac, and has had a good few days to soak in. We cleaned the road pretty well with washing up liquid and a hosepipe, but the drive is still scarred. Allegedly. I'll not be going to look until I know she's out! :roll:

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KevMayer wrote: EDIT: or maybe this one

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50166/Cle ... se-Remover
It's that one Kev :D
Jim

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Got the car back yesterday! :D

The garage have changed two of the return flexible pipes. Don't know which two (I'd guess the ram and HC returns which go into the junction above the valve block) but they come to about £80 + VAT. Don't know how much the bill will be yet... One of the pipes was delivered quite quickly, apparently Citroen didn't notice they hadn't sent the other, and it was on back order. Anyhow, it's good to have it back.

It's interesting to make some comparisons with the C3 now that I've been driving that for a few weeks. The Activa gearchange (let's be honest, not the best) feels positively snappy in comparison! It's nice to get into comfy seats, and of course comfort and handling-wise there's no comparison. The C3 feels much quicker - the HDi torque is so easily accessible. I'll be driving the C3 for a while anyhow. Back and forth to the hospital (baby boy last Saturday, 8lb 12oz!) the C3 makes more sense in terms of fuel economy and finding somewhere to park!

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Congratulations on the new baby.
Cheers, Kev

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

KevMayer wrote:Congratulations on the new baby.
+1

When are you signing him up for the FCF ?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

myglaren wrote:
KevMayer wrote:Congratulations on the new baby.
+1

When are you signing him up for the FCF ?
Thanks!

I've already told him he's going to be a mechanic, in preparation for his career as a racing driver! I'll get him some little green overalls. :lol: He's been quite poorly, but is better now and should be home in the next couple of days.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Today's new MOT ( :D ) has reminded me to post a final update on this.

The failed pipe was actually one of the braided ram pipes, not a return pipe as I had originally presumed. Jim had raised the possibility of this failure earlier in the thread. Since the ram was replaced less than three years ago, I'm inclined to believe that the pipes were incorrectly routed on replacement, but I never asked for the old ones so I'll never tell for sure! Hopefully the new pipes should outlive the rest of the car!

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto