CITROEN C5 AIRBAG FAULT+SERVICE LIGHT HOW DO I GET IT OFF

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gazzas c5
My Cars:

airbag fault service light

Post by gazzas c5 »

hi folks i have done all the mentioned things on the posts posted on here still no luck,what am i doing wrong?cheers
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI VTR 04 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 16V EXCLUSIVE 53 REG
CITROEN C5 2.0 HDI EXCLUSIVE 52 REG
CITROEN C5 2.2 HDI EXCLUSIVE AUTOMATIC 54 REG FACELIFT MODEL
CITROEN C5 1.6 HDI VTR 05 REG FACELIFT MODEL
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You may not be doing anything wrong, the things mentioned in this post are the most common causes of the airbag light on the C5 but not the only possibilities. There are many other things that could be causing it.
You have covered the basics but now it looks like you may need to get fault codes read with apropriate diagnostic gear to give you a starting point as to where to start looking next.
tampenny
My Cars: C5 ESTATE 2.2 HDI

Re: CITROEN C5 AIRBAG FAULT+SERVICE LIGHT HOW DO I GET IT OFF

Post by tampenny »

Hi,
i've come a bit late onto this thread,
I have the same issue but i didn't have before i cut and soldered the three connections under the passenger carpet,
one conection appears to be for the seatbelt, if i remember correctly, did this one many years ago,
one for the windscreen wipers and one for the EPS/ASR,
now have a PASSENGERS LEVEL 1 AIRBAG IGNITER - OPEN CIRCUIT (P1803) FAULT,
have tried everything in this thread, under the passenger seat, under the carpet under the passenger seat, something called a PSA attached to the sill by the passenger seat,
but nothing, seriously hoping Mr Wheeler Esq can come through with the goods and help me too,
everything on the web seems to be driver airbag related,
sounds like one of those broken wire situations again but i'm at a loss to find it,
any help gratefully recieved,
cheers
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Im a bit confused. You say you never had an issue until you cut & soldered the wires? why would you have done this if there wasnt an issue?
The connectors under the passengers side carpet are actually for the drivers airbag. The connectors are the extension harness where it was modified for being a RHD. There are only 2 of them that relate to the airbag system, they are both the same type of connector but just different colour's. To track down the fault you will ideally need some airbag test resistors. First you would plug the resistor in place of the airbag itself & see if the fault will clear.
tampenny

Post by tampenny »

Hi Wheeler,
thanks for getting on board with this,
I was having other troubles like ESP/ASR, depolution system and the like, which is why i cut them out,
along with some other wire repairs and touching wood they have now all disappeared,
maybe that is just coincidence?
so, this airbag fault then appears, at first i thought it was relating to the connectors i had taken out,
double checked everything but now seem to think it is unrelated,
could you please give me some more in depth information please,
what size of resistor?
where is the airbag?
which connection does the resisor need to go across?
where is the connector?
I am total dumb on this so if you could explain in layman's terms that would be really, really helpful,
there is a video on Youtube showing a guy doing something similar on a pug 307 but that is under the drivers seat,
maybe the connections for the passenger airbag are under the drivers seat? would that be correct to assume?
I'm very confused,
appreciate you time and help,
Mark.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Is there any possibility that you mixed up any wiring when you cut the connectors out or did you do each wire at a time? those plugs relate to the drivers airbag anyway so in theory unrelated.
Airbag test resistors are normally 2.2 ohms.
Im not really too sure though you should be messing about with the airbag system if you dont really know what you are doing, they can be very dangerous, even with the battery disconnected.
The passenger's airbag is in the dashboard above the glovebox, the airbags have 2 different plugs This is the level 1 & level 2 igniters, this is to allow the deployment of the airbags with different forces depending on the severity of the impact.
I had a quick look at a wiring diagram & there is also a 4 way blue connector (IC91B in the picture) that the passenger's airbag wiring goes through, It looks like its located under the centre console near where the airbag ECU is located. certainly would be worth a check/clean.
Attachments
airbag.jpg
tampenny

Post by tampenny »

Wheeler,
thank you so very much for taking the time with this,
I have to report another success for you,
I think it was indeed the IC91B that was causing the problem,
the issue now appears to have cleared and will remain that way, touch wood,
your assistance really is very much appreciated,
right lets move on to the next problem.....
may well be seeing you again on another thread,
cheers my friend
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Thats a result, i cant say i have ever had any issues with that connector at all but if you have disturbed it & the fault clears it looks like the culprit. Cleaning the connector may only be a short term solution & the fault may well come back, if this happens I would just chop the connector out & solder the wires direct. If you need to do this make sure you do one wire at a time as the colours can be different on either side of the connector.
tampenny

Post by tampenny »

thanks again wheeler,
I had the centre console out to replace the bulb around the cigar lighter and obviously clean away 20 odd years of dirt,
noticed one of the earthing points was a bit cruddy too,
strange how the wiggle of a wire can turn weeks of dispair into joy,
soldering iron is tinned and ready to go at a moments notice,
thank you