Cigarette Lighter not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Cigarette Lighter not working

Post by Penguin »

Afternoon chaps.

My cigarette lighter doesn't work anymore and there is no illumination around it either. I have checked F19 and it is fine (even cleaned the contacts just to be extra sure). Are these things internally fused as well? If so can it be repaired or can replacements be found? I haven't got around to taking the thing out yet as I thought it best to ask advice before progressing.

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The feed for the illumination may just be the bulb gone or the bulb holder has fell out.

You can get replacements but they are usually a fit-once thing, you have to destroy them to get them out, unless you like to spend ages carefully bending thin tin and trying not to break brittle plastic :D

Get access to it, and check its actually plugged in. Bear in mind the illumination feed will (probably) be a separate feed anyway. Check for power / earth / illumination feed (check this one with lights on and ign on)

It might have an inline fuse (maybe someone added one) but as far as I am aware they do not normally. Bear in mind I'm used to Peugeot's ;)

If all's well, replace the lighter socket.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

spider wrote:If all's well, replace the lighter socket.
Are these a universal thing or would I need to get a specific one?

I'm not actually bothered about the illumination but I mentioned it as I think both the illumintaion and 12v supply failed at the same time.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The fuse for the Lighter is RIGHT at the bottom of the Fuses rows... cannot remember what the number is now... Its in a cross row on its own so it can be moved in two positions...

By right at the bottom, I mean with the Flap open, its at the end nearest the hinge of the flap..

paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Ah, I see. I believed the Haynes BOL when it said it was F19 for a pre 98 model. I'm still in with a shout of it being the fuse then.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

I don't know about S1 Xantias but on my S2 when the lighter stopped working the first time I found that Citroen had been a bit tight with the wire run between the slide out ashtray/lighter assembly and the fixed car loom. The connections had worked themselves off with the closing and opening of the tray. The second time it happened I made up an extension loom to increase the free play available in the loom and cable tied it so that the connections were unstrained when the tray moved.
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I replaced mine with one bought from eBay. Including P&P it was £5.50 and was an original part. It was difficult to remove the original unit from the car without mangling it but as it was u/s it wasn't a major issue.

In my case the removable lighter was knackered rather than the bit stuck in the console although that was becoming encrusted with cremated finest virginia and probably was due expire shortly.

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I think I've got a spare tray with lighter and lamp if you need one.

In contrast to MJM's experience, my MK2 harness is plenty long enough to reach the front of the ashtray when it's extended.

I believe the lamp is powered off a different circuit to the lighter so the fuse may have blown but it won't fix the lamp. And I'm pretty sure the lamp only comes on with the lights?

And yes, it is a right PITA to dismantle, even worse to re-assemble!
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for all the replies chaps. Sorry if I seemed ungrateful for not responding but we have been away for a short break. Realised how badly I need to fix this issue as teh Sat Nav kept packing up at the most inopportune moments. Fortunately I took 2 SatNavs, not the ideal solution though.

I will have a go at this at the weekend, weather and wife permitting!

Might be back at you about the spare Mike once I've established my problem.

Thanks again everyone for contributing.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for your help on this one, it was indeed the fuse (in the position stated by Paul NOT the one stated by BOL). Simple fix once I had the correct fuse identified.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
spider

Post by spider »

Penguin wrote:... NOT the one stated by BOL...
That does not surprise me :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote:
Penguin wrote:... NOT the one stated by BOL...
That does not surprise me :)
The BoL has a reputation to maintain. If snippets of truth started to creep in it would do that reputation no good at all.

It might even get to the point that it would have to be known as the BoT or Book of Truths...

Now that would never do :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:
The BoL has a reputation to maintain. If snippets of truth started to creep in it would do that reputation no good at all.

It might even get to the point that it would have to be known as the BoT or Book of Truths...

Now that would never do :roll:
In contrast, the late 70's and early 80's ones (I have a couple floating around for Fords etc) are generally excellent. For instance there's several pages going into a lot of detail of the VV Carburettor, rather than just skimping on it as though it was a sealed unit.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Do you have the orange 205 BoL Andy? That's an example of an excellent BoL.

It was replaced by a simplifed red covered one and it lost a good 2/3rds of the detail.

The orange one even went into great gearbox detail.

Similar BoLs were availabe for the BX (Brown) and 405 (Violet) and equally as good.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Do you have the orange 205 BoL Andy? That's an example of an excellent BoL.

It was replaced by a simplifed red covered one and it lost a good 2/3rds of the detail.

The orange one even went into great gearbox detail.

Similar BoLs were availabe for the BX (Brown) and 405 (Violet) and equally as good.
I don't have a 205 one at all :) , I do have (was given it years ago) the orangery XUD manual, which is quite detailed.

I do have a violet 405 manual too (never owned a 405) but its for petrol models only up to 92 (so the earlier pre-facelifted ones)

I do know well what you are referring to regarding detail level though. ;) , its easy to look at a new one and compare to an older one to see.
Andy.