Fuel hose leak - TD Cold starting problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vince
My Cars:

Fuel hose leak - TD Cold starting problem?

Post by vince »

Guys all of a sudden about 4 days ago my Xantia TD decided to make it hard work starting it from cold :roll: . Once the engine has been run and has warmed up a touch it starts fine.

A good poke around led me to discover a split fuel leak off hose (the ones between each injector) which was found when using the priming bulb and hearing a leaking noise. After the fuel was dryed up and the piece of pipe replaced the car started with a bit of hesitation (perhaps the rest need replacing)?

My question is this......if there is fuel leakage on one of these pipes will this cause a non starting issue and if so why does it start fine once the engine has been run for a bit?

I will try is again in the morning after its been stood all night.....see what difference the replaced hose has made :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Basically with any splits in these leak off pipes you're getting air into the top
of the diesel circuit feed from the pump to the injectors and by priming the
circuit using the bulb you're effectively fixing the repair until the car is allowed
to rest for a length of time again which will then be hard work - I've no doubt
it'll be a right git in the morning again...

replacing all the leak off pipes onto the injectors and bleeding/priming the feed
should get you on your merry way again. I'm not sure if your guys sell the kit
but another one-off local factors to me sells the roll of correct pipe to cut to
length and the terminate blanking plug pipe end in a kit for about a fiver.

Andrew
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Thanks Andrew...i used some spare fuel hose i had and cut it to length then re primed the system using the bulb and it started...if its still not right in the morning then tomorrow night ill replace the rest anyway and re prime it and see how i get on.

Thanks

Vince
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or you have one or more glow plugs dead,

regards malcolm
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Problem solved....Just been out to start it and it fired up straight away.....seems the leaky hose i replaced was the culprit :)

I'll do the others just in case anyway :wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It must use a Bosch pump, for some unaccountable reason the leak off's go to the pump inlet, hence air in fuel if they leak.'
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Your right Pete it is a Bosch pump....

Im just glad i found what it was and it didnt cost me anything to fix it 8-)