Engine Mount Questions - ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Engine Mount Questions - ZX

Post by the_weaver »

Hi folks

I removed the offside engine mount (the metal engine mounting-to-body bracket) today, for cambelt access. The engine was supported on a trolley jack, with a piece of wood going between the sump and the rear engine mount. The engine mounting bracket came off easily with the engine obviously supported ok by the trolley jack. When I came to put it back, about two hours later, I found that I couldn't get the mount on and I had to jack the engine up a bit to get the mount back on. I'm wondering whether the jack went down in that short time and whether I've damaged anything. What damage could this have caused?

Another related question:- When I removed the nut that holds the "engine mounting-to-body bracket" to the body, I just undid the nut with a 16mm socket and rachet handle. After I undid it, I noticed that the threaded rod that goes into the rubber mounting has got a hole for use with an allen key in it. Does that mean that I've damaged the rubber mount by not using an allen key? Is the allen socket there for some other reason? I haven't torqued the nut back up yet, it's just done up enough to support the engine overnight. Should I just torque it up with a torque wrench and forget about the allen key, or do I need to hold the allen key still whilst tightening the nut? If so, then I'm going to have to use a ring spanner as I haven't got a special socket that drives on the outside. The Haynes manual makes no mention of using an allen key to support the threaded rod or rubber mount.

Paul
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Sorry - I should have said what car it is. It's a ZX 1.9D, 1993, hatchback, no turbo, no abs. 217K miles

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is perfectly normal to have to re/aline the top mounting bracket on re/assembly, i usualy jack up down and all over the place whilst working on them with the mounting off,

i have never held the post with an allen key whilst tightening the top nut up with no advers affects,

and in all the years i have worked on XUD engines i must have only had to fit a new top mount once or twice

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the reply Malcolm. It looks like I'm ok then.

Paul