Xantia Fuel line

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

floyd
My Cars:

Xantia Fuel line

Post by floyd »

Just managed to rip the fuel cooler of my xantia!! Didnt rise enough before setting off. Any advice for repairing and replacing?

Cheers
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Fuel Cooler?

That's a new one on me Floyd :? Can you describe the item a little better please..

Also, what model Xantia?

I know I'm suffering the effects of paint fumes right now but I cannot think of anything on the fuel system that is at risk of being damaged from driving off on low...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
floyd
My Cars:

Post by floyd »

Its a 2.0 HDi exclusive and it is on the fuel line half way down on right hand side of car. Section where the fuel line fits onto a looped set of metal fuel pipes mounted on a plate. Proably not called fuel cooler, but couldnt find this anywhere in Haynes manual.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh :) It all makes sense now...

I know nothing of these HDi Xantias you speak of (too new for me!) so I'll retire gracefully from this thread and allow those that do know them to offer sage words of advice and wisdom...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Me niether :?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP had a similar issue by the looks of things

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 39&start=0
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
floyd
My Cars:

Post by floyd »

thanks looks like a garage job, got cooler partly re mounted, but had bent part of pipework and snapped off one of connectors at end.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Been there done that. Fortunately I was able to bend the fuel cooler pipe back without it breaking. It also smashed the connector on the plastic pipe from the tank to the cooler. This is the shorter pipe which was £8.82 in Oct 2008 from dealer. Fuel cooler (part no 1579 P2) listed at £68.22 inc VAT - or its a scrapyard hunt.
floyd
My Cars:

Post by floyd »

just to update, garage removed cooler and bypassed with new hose. Just back from holiday, did over 1000 miles and no problems at all and running well.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmmm, I'd be working to stick the cooler back in..... Citroen fitted it for a reason after all! The HP pumps works hard, and the fuel is used to call this, in turn being cooled in the cooler. A new cooler is a lot cheaper than a new HP pump (or even a new LP pumps which is likely to be the first casualty of running hot). Mind you, running with at least 1/4 tank should help things, as there's more diesel to heat up in the first place!
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Agree. It is there for a purpose. Have seen similar on HDi Pug 806's and 406's (probably other models too but not 100% sure)

Bit strange really, if you think of the older engines they spent a bit of time (usually half decent heating setup for the fuel) to get the fuel heated, and now with HDI's we are having fuel coolers, just shows how things change.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Oddly there appears to be a fuel heater as well! On mine there are about 6 pipes connected to the fuel filter (one or more of them is leaking I think!) and there appears to the a flow/return to the thermostat housing.
Richard W
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

spider wrote:Agree. It is there for a purpose. Have seen similar on HDi Pug 806's and 406's (probably other models too but not 100% sure)
There's one on my 807, you can see the air duct for it sticking down round about the front passenger seat area.

I always assumed it was on the fuel return line to cool unused diesel before it went back into the tank.