Question about cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sam L
My Cars:

Question about cam belt

Post by Sam L »

Hi all as some of you know i am a new member and you have made me aware i need my timing belt doing asap
My question is what do i need to get i now i need the belt and tensioners also the water pump but do i need anything else?
i am going to get a new drive belt aswell
thanks for reading sam
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Sam,

you've listed all the items directly involved with the timing belt; it pays to change the waterpump as a precaution as this is pretty much the identical job to it's replacement renewing the belt and you don't want to revisit a leaking pump just after renewing the belt!

The tensioners could be in good health on your engine and a decent mechanic will determine their state before you need the new tensioners. That said if the cost of them doesn't phase you getting everything renewed at once will guarantee peace of mind. You could find they only need renewal otherwise at tge next belt change after this one!

Andrew
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Sam

Not sure what car this is for. A new crankshaft pulley bolt might be another thing to add to your list.

Paul
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Obviously new antifreeze if you are changing the water pump.

Water pump replacement is highly recommended with timing belt change as they have a habit of leaking if you do not change them.

Tensioners are a good idea (I see you said you plan to do those anyway) and replacing the ancillary drive belt is also a sensible idea while you are at at, as it has to come off so if its not perfect it should be replaced really, I always do anyway on my own for the small cost.

Would want to know what vehicle and engine really though ;) , but you have the right idea of replacing those parts while you are at it. Ultimately, the relatively small cost of those parts is a lot lot cheaper than having one fail in service and dealing with the aftermath. :)

Typically at a major service you would be changing all the filters and brake fluid etc too, as well as cleaning brakes (more so if you have rear drum brakes or if your handbrake has 'shoes') , not sure how well this applies to Citroens given some have parking brake on front wheels.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Sam L
My Cars:

Post by Sam L »

thanks Andrew i will get everything changed for peace of mind because i cant do timing i have to go to a garage they are saying about£100 for labour and the bits come to £98 does this sound about right for the labour
thanks sam
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

One thing to remember is that there are two types of water pumps. One type has a metal guard to protect the sprocket, the other type has no guard. Make sure you get the right one.

Paul
Sam L
My Cars:

Post by Sam L »

sorry its an xantia 1.9td 1998 the parts are a tentioner kit waterpump and drive belt i will need to add antifreeze to that
spider

Post by spider »

4 Litres of a/f will be needed then. I'm only going from the Peugeot 'scale' here as < 99 was 3L for petrol (4cyl) and 4L for diesel. Engine is the same anyway

Will be later water pump then , the one "with protector / guide" , they will probably NOT offer you the wrong one given the year, unless you have an engine out of an early (as in pre 93!) car, so do not worry too much about that.

Cambelt covers with bolts holding on = pump with guide , this is what you should have.

Cambelt covers with just clips holding on = your engine is too early for the car and you need the without guide pump (99% unlikely you would want this pump as its very unlikely indeed someone fitted the really early engine)

I would not worry about this as its quite obvious if its wrong, the correct one has a 'side' to it, to fill in a gap in the belt covers.

Oh if changing tensioner, a holding tool for the plunger would not be a bad idea, although you can do it without its a lot easier if you can get and use one (if it fits) , I have pics to make one if needed. It's NOT essential just saves a bit of time (again, if it actually fits)

EDIT... Tidied post up and added a bit more.
Andy.

Sam L
My Cars:

Post by Sam L »

mine has bolts holding the cover on i just looked i cant do it myself i will have to take it to garage i dont know if they will have the tool you mean he did however know it had same engine as peugeot and i told him i wanted water pump changing aswell
spider

Post by spider »

Will be fine then. :)

You don't need the tool , its just easier as the plunger spring will try to move if they remove the sprung tensioner.

I've done with and without, its not bad either way really.
Andy.

Sam L
My Cars:

Post by Sam L »

Thanks is there anyone willing to do the job for me that is within 1-1/2 hours from me that could do it i am willing to pay it would set my mind at rest if someone who has experiance on these cars did it

thanks sam
pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

Sorry about crashing the post, but when you change the water pump do you just use the new seal that comes with the pump or use the seal and a sealer of some kind e.g. silicone ect... as im just about to do a C3 1.4hdi
pazauk
spider

Post by spider »

I've only ever cleaned the aperture up until its perfectly clean (important!) and fitted the new pump with its seal / gasket. No sealant.

Not sure what the setup is for the small HDi's though, do they have an o-ring fitting like the TU's ?
Andy.

pazauk
My Cars:

Post by pazauk »

The pump has come with like a paper/card seal like a head gasket type.
pazauk
spider

Post by spider »

Unless someone says otherwise (wait a bit) , I would say just clean it up (it needs to be perfectly clean, no trace of old gasket or muck etc, look carefully) and then just fit it with gasket and no sealant. :)

Please take time cleaning up as I know its boring but its not nice if it leaks to have to go and do it again due to impatience :D
Andy.