Why the hell is it... (starting issues)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Why the hell is it... (starting issues)

Post by Guru Meditation »

That Citroen TD engines are such poor starters what the hell is up with that?????
If I leave my ZX for more than a day without starting it is a real pig to get going. Normally just one glow and <10s of cranking will get it started or it will fire then stall but turning the starter again it will fire up fine then run. Today after a weekend of not moving it was a pain to start this morning. I cranked for 20s (after glowing) and it was just cranking not firing at all. Repeated glowing or throttle opening slightly did not help so I popped the bonnet and pumped the primer. It was quite soft and I could hear fuel sloshing through it I must have pumped it 40 times but it never went extremely firm. Back in the car it took another 10s of cranking before it fired then it ran fine (some white smoke for a few seconds and the first 10s of running it always sounds like it's missing) but then it's spot on all day.
I think this points to a fuel problem (ambient temperature >10c, pre heat makes no difference and 20s of cranking with no firing at all). I noticed the front of the engine (visible engine between fuel filter housing and fuel pump down where the block meets the sump) always looks wet. I've tried wiping it before but could never get it to go away. Can't tell if it's diesel but I don't lose any coolant so I guess this could point to part of the problem.
My 205 gti used to start first turn of key (9 times out of 10 at least!) whatever the weather.
Guru Meditation
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

GM -
It's not related specific to Citroen species.
It's a simple diesel service problem known to all diesels becoming start buggers.
Your attempts on the fuel primer pump tells you the problem :
leaks in the fuel line somewhere.
This problem is a bugger to trace down, since usually there is no visible fuel leaks to hint you - or at least these may be so weak they are not recognised.
Causes to the problem are generally weak/rotten rubber/PVC fuel lines/clamps - even tiny craks or rust on rigid piping/studs.
For diesels - air in the fuel line is a sure start problem - may even give you strange rev'ing problems during drive - since the air may disturb the RotoPumps fuel regulation mechanism.
Have you tried if water in the diesel filter is the problem ?
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

'Wet' front of the engine seems to be oil, no fuel. I have drained all water from the fuel filter this did not cure the problem. Probably an air leak like you say....
Guru Meditation
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

You could try the metal pipes for the fuel flow and return down the rhs of the car, mine were pin holed but only to the extent of letting air in, it never dripped fuel, but new pipes definitely fixed it, once i had replaced them I blew compressed air down the old ones and bingo! there were several tiny holes in them near the back end
Pete
________
FREE GIFT CARDS
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.