Xantia-Thermostat/Fuel Filter Housing Gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Xantia-Thermostat/Fuel Filter Housing Gasket

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The aftermath of my cambelt failure is approaching the end game now, and I have fired the engine up again for the first time. Going through the checking for leaks mode, the most obvious leak was from my first heath robinson attempt at a gasket for the thermostat/fuel filter housing where it joins onto the head.

Yes I rejected paying GSF the £20+ for their little "head gasket set" (a set of ancillary gaskets and stuff but not the head gasket itself) which no doubt would have included a new thermostat/fuel filter housing gasket.
I simply put the semi servicable old gasket back on with hylomar each side.

This didn't work.

The gasket in question is metal in the middle with some kind of gasket material on either side. The local motorparts shop couldn't get me something similar.

(I have done a heath robinson attempt 2, in which I have filed down the old gasket to the bare metal, and used blue hylomar both sides, and left overnight to have the chance to "set")

To do a better job if necessary:-

Is there an online source for indivdual "gaskets" or do I have to resort to Citroen?

What sort of homemade gasket would be appropriate, and would a gasket simply using only gasket in a tube on each of the metal surfaces, have any chance of holding back the water?

thanks Neil
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Which one do you need the one that sits between the back of the housing and the head ?

1339 62 is the number for part (2) on this diagram:

The dealer should have cheaply. Try a Peugeot dealer if needed, as far as I am (aware) they are all the same for the housings with the filter mounted atop. Certainly the water opening aperture is the same for all XUD's , you might have to say its for a 306 or something if they get funny.

Note this pic is from a late (but XUD) 306:

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Andy its definitely item no 2 on the diagram. I probably should have sourced a new no4 as well.

So far so good however with my heath robinson No 2 solution. It seems to be holding out so far. Not sure if it was following the instructions on the hylomar a bit more carefully, the giving it 24 hrs to cure properly, or the filing down of the old gasket to the bare metal which did the trick.

Neil