Xantia 1.9TD aux belt tensioner spring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Are you after bolt 36 that runs through the end of the spring?

I'm pretty certain these bolts crop up again and again throughout the
bodyshell as I had a load in the pot from stripping down a Xant estate
a short while back - there were quite a significant number.

Not 100% certain which part of the car though sorry but I'd try the handles
above the doors in the headlining first - one of these can lend a bolt until
more serious kit is fixed.

Andrew
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well, with help from Jim I managed to get it all done tonight.
Dropped the engine down with a block of wood behind to keep it at the right angle and was able to remove the tensioner.
Where I initially thought the original lower spring bolt had sheered off/rattled out, it wasn't.
Instead, it had worn nearly half way through from one side!
There is enough remaining to reuse it, but a replacement will be sourced asap, along with the top bolt as the fitted bolt is just a normal one.

The HP had to be removed to get access, and using a 6mm allen screwdriver bit with some tape around it so that it fitted snuggly inside the ring of an 8mm ratchet spanner, I was able to tighten the lower bolt relatively easily, finishing off with a long handled allen key.

So tomorrow I will find out if I've sorted the rattled as at 10pm its a bit late to be revving the engine!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Xac,

you might find it still rattles a little bit esspecially whilst decelerating it will settle down and get quieter over a couple of days, why this is I don't know perhaps the rubber in the spring ends needs to be heated a little first before it all settles down.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

No rattle at all, engine seems smoother too :)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

glad youve got it all sorted Xac, I had to hand mine to pleiades and even Martin said it was a pig of a job first time around, only the spring wasnt replaced just the tensioner arm, it went back for spring replacement a couple of days ago, thankfully the end of the spring wasnt as bad as yours. I hope your tensioner needle rollers havent suffered as a result.

mine were going flat anyway

I got my spring at flea-bay it was £49.99 what did GSF charge for yours?
citroen was £71+vat

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yeah it's not a fun job!
Spring was £38.20+VAT

When I get time I'll take a look at the needle rollers.
The replacement tensioner from Eurocarparts doesn't have a removeable roller shaft, the "washers" on each end are part of it, keeping it in and hopefully gunk out.
It may be my imagination but the suspension seems to get up to level faster, which could be genuine and due to the now tighter belt.

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac,

my deliverd Eurocarparts original peugeot/citroen (xantia/C5) tensioner arrived with the removeable roller, held in place with a thick elastic band
I am not sure which tensioner you were looking at without the roller included. there is only one washer needed to hold the roller in against the threaded hole on the tensioner as the diagram above shows, unless you
mean the top mounting hole on the tensioner and not the bottom.

anyway my is perfect now no more vibration at any engine speed.

there is no need to dismantle your tensioner to check the needle bearings

just keep an eye on the track of the belt to see if the extra tension changes its path anytime soon this would probably indicate worn needle rollers.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mine came with the roller, it's just not removable
The old one (which was also from ECP) has a removable roller, although I wouldn't advise removing it ;)

With the damage to the spring end of the tensioner I wasn't going to take any chances.

DIY sphere tool