Bx to Xantia swop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ghostrider
My Cars:

Bx to Xantia swop

Post by ghostrider »

xantia first impressions
Well I finally said goodbye to one of our Bxs in favour of a 1997 1.9TD Xantia, we've had it three days now and for those of you thinking about changing here are a few initial obeservations.
Build quality, is definitely in another league, as different from a BX as that was from the GS. This 6 year old one simply is not rusty.
Ride quality, interesting, its a lot heavier than a BX so I expected a slightly smoother ride more along the lines of a CX, it is smoother but not that much so, when my BX estate is full of tools it's about the same. The body roll is less but the ride is not so good on bad surfaces. Road and wind noise, and general rattles are almost non existent. But when pushed you can't mistake the noise from the engine, just like a BX.
Performance, what a yawn, I reckon a normally aspirated BX17D would give this thing a run for its money! Fuel economy is meant to be quite good but my guess is that until I have got used to the drop in performance from my 17turbo I will continue to drive around with the accelerator pedal nailed to the floor in an attempt to get it to go!! Mind you it is slightly better now that I've adjusted the throttle cable so that I get full throttle travel.
Driving position is good, there are enough adjustments to be able to get it about right, however you can't see the front left hand corner, and the door mirrors are way too small.
Surprisingly for a 6 year old Cit all the electrics still work, whether having 2 fuse boxes is going to be a problem only time will tell but the wiring definitely looks like it might last a bit better, have they finally got round to using the right size cables for the job?
Its nearly time for it to have a cambelt change, which looks OK to do apart from needing to take loads more stuff off before you can get at it, also I normally release the starter motor on the BX to give me better acces to the timing hole in th flywheel, but it looks to me like that may take a lot of doing on this engine.
Also what's all this stuff about needing a special measuring tool to re tension the drive belt to the alternator, Hydraulic pump and Air Con? Sounds like a return to the CX days! I scared my self rigid by buying a full workshop manual for the CX - you needed a special tool to do just about anything according to the manual, but in the end I found that you could manage without most of them satisfactorily, lets hope its the same with the Xantia.
It is loads more complicated than the BX, lets just hope that they have made a better job of it than they did with the later DS's and CX's otherwise I can see myself spending my spare time fixing cars again!!
If only I could find a rust free low mileage BX 19 Diesel Estate!
________
South Park Forums
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I've made the same swap [although I still have the bx] and to be perfectly honest at the end of the summer I'm probably going to sell the xantia and revert to the bx. Apart from it looking superb and feeling more solid its a big let down when compared to the bx, can't even open the boot when its been raining without spilling at least a half ltr of water over the rear seat back. Ride quality is inferior, fuel consumption is 20% more and I don't even consider overtaking anymore [at one point I wondered if someone had rebadged a non turbo]. Insurance is higher, parts and servicing are more expensive and working on the car is considerably more difficult. still thats progress.
Mark_sp
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

replying to myself? oh dear.... Anyway ride quality may be something to do with the spheres being the original ones, It has a FSH but now I'm wondering has the cam belt been changed, what about the LHM,argh!!!why can't Citroen build a car that don't rust I love my BX, mechanical problems can be sorted but the dreaded tin worm no chance!
________
Dc medical marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Since the Xantia weighs at least 30% more than the BX, the drop in performance/increase in fuel consumption is understandable. Until Citroën finally got round to putting the TD12 engine in the Xantia, it actually used more fuel than the XM!
I got to loan a BX 16v GT while my XM TD12 cambelt was being replaced - what a load of fun! But I'd forgotten the horrible squeaking plastic interior and trim falling off all the time. It was great to get the XM back again!
//NiSk
MarkS
My Cars:

Post by MarkS »

might be worth screwing the grub screw in on the back of the turbo waste gate actuator, can make a nice difference.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks Mark, i'll give it a go. talked to Vanaaken today they do a diesel pump mod which takes abot 4 hrs and takes it out 110brake and 207 lb ft torque, ?385 makes it a bit expensive for a car thats only worth 4.5 p :-))
________
Title Insurance Forum
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Very interested in the Van Aarken mod. Please post results if you go ahead. The price you quote appears very reasonable to me, considerably cheaper than replacing 1.9TD with 2.1TD if you factor in all the costs. A couple of points though that you may have already thought of:
Yours is the part managed pump, as opposed to the entirely mechanical one, presumably this is not a problem to VA.
Insurance, I have a gut feeling that they will view it with disdain and charge more than for a 'standard' 110 bhp car.
Finally to everyone, what's all this rubbish about the BX. It's quite simply the best car that I have ever owned and probably that Citroen ever built. There are dozens of them locally and almost every one is tidy. Oddly I don't see many of their contemporaries from Ford and Vauxhall.
Cheers
Gavin1

Post by Gavin1 »

I have a Bx TZD turbo and 1.9 td Xantia, the xantia can easily be self tuned a little by advancing the timing fractionally, increasing the fuelling and increasing the boost pressure, the Xantia (unlike Bx) has a huge intercooler.
But my Xantia will soon be up for sale, I enjoy its build quality and slightly more space and its a superb tow car but it isn't particularly economical (esp when you drive it hard once its been tuned) It just isn't fun. However on the upside - contrary to a post above it's easier to work on as there is more space in the engine bay.
I love my Bx - its citroenian character, its performance and frugality .. I've tuned it to get to 60mph in just over 9 seconds and no matter how hard I try I can't get the fuel consumption below 40 mpg!