Help with 2001 C5 Headlamp Adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

corsehf
My Cars:

Help with 2001 C5 Headlamp Adjustment

Post by corsehf »

Does someone have the instructions on how to set up the front headlights on a C5
My headlights are shocking and i didn't realise how bad until last winter whilst driving in fog, the beam were all over the place, when i flicked the high beam on for a few seconds, the nearside beam shot off straight across the front of the car and illuminated the hedge on the opposite side of the road.
Now as the headlights were so bad, i thought about changing the bulbs first and see where we were after. It appears the original set were not fitted properly which may explain the beams shooting off all over the place but to be fair, the new ones are not much better and as we have had no fog for a while, i cannot tell where they are aiming. But what a faff!!, a big car like that and no space to change a soddin lightbulb!!
Does someone have a diagram of what each adjuster is meant to do.
The outside ones appear to adjust the low beam up & down but i cannot see any movement from the other one.

Can anyone advise please??
Andy

2003 C5 2.2HDi Exclusive SE Est

2001 C5 2.2HDi SX Est (gone to C5 Heaven!)
2001 Omega 2.2DTi Est (stolen by Ex!!)
1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

Anybody with info???
Andy

1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I couldn't say unfortunately as although I have had the lights out last year to replace a dropped clip there was no need to readjust them.

It was an MOT failure and returned to the station to be checked, they put it on the beam tester and declared it ok.

I had replaced a bulb but lost the retaining clip and just stuck the bulb in it's socket where it was fine until a couple of days before the test when I noticed it was directed at the ground four feet in front of the car, then forgot to reseat it before the test.

As yours appears to be so far out I'd guess that your problem is similar and that the bulb isn't properly located in the socket. Access is very limited and the simplest thing is to drop the bumper and pull the units to check them. In doing so you will no doubt find where the adjusters are. It isn't as bad a job as I expected, only five screws (torx) IIRC and about ten clips that you need to be a bit careful with as not to break them off.

Failing that I'd take it to an MOT station and ask if they can set them up for you.
corsehf
My Cars:

Post by corsehf »

I know where the adjusters are, mine just don't seem to do much which is why i why asking if anyone had a description of how they were adjusted per adjuster so that i could find out what was wrong.
Surely something must be out there - even in French??
Andy

1997 Xantia 2.1TD SX
1994 ZX TD Volcane
Lancia Stratos Replica