Xantia 1.9 TD non starter after head change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 TD non starter after head change

Post by masood_ilyas »

Over the weekend I replaced the cylinder head on my Xantia 1.9TD Model 1993 but now it does not start [:0]. All the timing references were correct on reassembly, this assumes the new cylinder head camshaft is of the correct vairety. There is plenty of fuel arriving at the injectors and there is decent vaccum if you feel it at the inlet manifold by removing one of the pipes to the intercooler. The glow plugs are fine too. On starting however the engine turns and after 10 seconds or so very briefly comes to life for about a quarter second, rises in RPM and then dies. At the exhaust end just as it dies there is grey smoke. I did clean the injectors with petrol and brush the business end with a nylon tooth brush.
What I have been unable to work out from the Haynes book of words is sequence to purge the air [B)].
My fuel pump is of Bosch variety it does not have any obvious bleed nipples. Does any one know the proceedure for removing air from the fuel lines or if there is some other simpler reason for the failure to start I would apreciate their advice.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Well, I've just done exactly the same as you, except over a month, and I've blown my turbo..
It took about 2 minutes of cranking, some false starts, before it finally burst into life, and it's now fine.
I would check that all your fuel pipes are tight, I would also check the operation of the glow plugs. Failing that, the fact that the revs rise just before it dies would ring alarm bells in the "burning" oil dept for me. Are the valves and seals in good condition ?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Prime the pump by squeezing the rubber bulb until it becomes firm, then loosen the 12mm bolt in the end of the distributor head (at the centre of the injector pipes) by one turn and crank the engine for a couple of turns, nip the bolt back up and loosen all four pipe unions at the injectors by one turn and crank the engine until fuel spurts from all the open unions, then nip them back up.
Then if the timing has been set correctly and glow plugs are ok it should be all systems go.
I hope you didn't allow any particles of dirt to get into the injector's at the open end while cleaning them, if you didn't take precautions against this you might end up with one or more of them sitcking open later on.
Dave