Berlingo Diesel primer pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daveyhairbear

Berlingo Diesel primer pump

Post by daveyhairbear »

I have a diesel DW8 Berlingo, which has given grief intermittently over the years..

The latest problem is it's 'lumpy' when started in the mornings, something I suspect is an air leak.

There is a trace of diesel around the plunger of the fuel primer pump so suspect this is leaky.

Have looked online but can't find a replacement. Does anyone know of a repair kit/replacement pump is available, if so from where?

I'm also toying with the idea of replacing the fuel filter/pump with a rubber bulb pump and inline filter in the short to medium term while I source a replacement for the original.

Has anyone done this? Obviously I'd lose the heated filter but would this be a real problem?

The original filter also acts as a water trap but an inline one wouldn't. Would this be a problem?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is the price and part No. from citroen for just the filter bowl with built in primmer, all one unit and dose not come with the lid or the lid retaining clip/band,

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000191144 FILTER BOWL 71.03 GBP 83.46 GBP 83.46 GBP

i fitted one to a customers Berlingo a few months back as it had fule showing between the plundger and its body, it did not cure the startting isuse,

the first thing i would try on your's is new glow plugs

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree with Malcolm, check your glow plugs first.

Peter
daveyhairbear

Post by daveyhairbear »

Ouch! That's expensive!

The car has had a history of occasionally drawing air into the fuel system. It's been a bit of a mystery up until now.

After noticing the fuel weeping around the plunger I smeared a bead of grease around the gap and the problem has gone away!

I assume the washer on the plunger is getting a bit tired...anyone know if this is available as a seperate item?

Could I replace the fuel filter/water trap/pump with individual 'generic' parts?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know if its possible to use a XANT fillter houseing and the rubber primmer bulb,

the houseing i fitted to my customers berlingo was because there was fuel showing around the base of the plundger, and he was haveing trouble startting,

but this did not fix this one,

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I don't think you`d be able to fit the Xantia assembly onto it (as the thermostat housing is slightly different) unless you wanted to get into changing that to the XUD one, and then there's no guarantee it will fit the aperture on a DW8 either, not to mention hoses will no longer fit either.

Then again its not that far off to be honest at first glance, so it might fit, but I suspect not (you know how these things can be) ;)

Using a blob of grease is a good 'test' to find air ingress locations (I normally do this, or sometimes a couple of layers of plastic bags and a cable tie etc) depends what / where really, but its not a permanent solution.

The seals are not available for the primer plunger, its just a unit, take a look at this pic:

The part number of (1) (as its comes as an assembly but no lid!, you cannot get 'A' separately) is 1911 44 (note: Pug part number)

Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that No. also cross's over to citroen as below

1 document(s) found for BERLINGO (M59)
1 document(s) found for XSARA
1 document(s) found for XSARA II
1 document(s) found for C15
1 document(s) found for BERLINGO (M49)
1 document(s) found for Dispatch 1&2

in that drawing it looks like the thermostate houseing is round, so it might be possible for the XANT filter houseing to be fitted

regards malcolm
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Thanks Malcolm for cross-referencing :)

I though the numbers would match but you never know.

I don't have a DW8 to hand to compare, as that could be just a generic picture.

As I put above, it (might) fit but I expect not, and things like hoses might be slightly out too.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i do agree Andy

the proof of the pudd and all that

theres only one way to find out we will have to guide daveyhairbear into giveing it a go :twisted: , then we will know for sure,

the part No. for the thermostate houseing is 1336.V7 and fits these modles

1 document(s) found for XSARA II
1 document(s) found for C15
1 document(s) found for BERLINGO (M49)
1 document(s) found for DISPATCH I & II

and the XANT XUD9 is 1336 L7,

when looking at both types/part No.'s on service citroen they certainly look very close in shape,

i think the only diference would be the face that mounts onto the head,

regards malcolm