Rear spheres for Mk2 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Rear spheres for Mk2 Xantia

Post by rmunns »

I've just ordered three rear spheres for my September 2000 Hdi90 Forte saloon.

Should they all be the same? If I have two of one pressure and one of another pressure then I guess it's obvious which goes where.

At present the suspension does not stay up when engine turned off, but gets up to correct height front and rear when car is started.

This will be the first change of these rear spheres. Car now done 53000miles. Front two spheres were changed at 36000miles by main dealer in 2008, but not centre front.

Any observations?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Forte's the newer name for LX isn't it?
So I take it you've bought two non-hydractive and one anti-sink sphere?
Easy to tell them apart, the corner spheres have a small hole, and the anti-sink has a large threaded hole.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rmunns

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)

Post by rmunns »

They are from ebay.fr and cost €79 inc postage for the three.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The common mis conception there...

The rear sphere is not an "Anti Sink" sphere, but a rear brake reserve sphere... you'll possibly find changing this sphere will NOT make any difference to the sinking, as the sinking is controlled by the smaller 5 way valve thats on the side of the "anti sink" sphere bracket..

Theres other posts on here, and experiance with one of my own, of anti sink cars sinking after the engine'd stopped, when I had this on a VSX I changed EVERYTHING and I mean everything from a working car that stayed up, and it still sank!... Only things I didn't change was the rear struts... my guess is though, that your anti sink VALVE is not closing off after a system pressure drop... to shut the struts out and hold the car up....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

citroenxm wrote:The common mis conception there...

The rear sphere is not an "Anti Sink" sphere, but a rear brake reserve sphere... you'll possibly find changing this sphere will NOT make any difference to the sinking, as the sinking is controlled by the smaller 5 way valve thats on the side of the "anti sink" sphere bracket..

Paul
However, the rear brakes are powered from the rear suspension circuit (to provide load compensation). So at rest, the 'Anti-sink' sphere does provide a reserve of pressure to maintain ride height (for a while).

I would agree that the root cause of a 'non-sinker' sinking while parked is the anti-sink valve not doing its job of isolating the rear height control valve. The significance of this is that the height control valve is designed to leak internally to provide adequate lubrication as it's in constant motion when the car is moving. Without the anti-sink valve, pressure would fairly soon leak away when the engine wasn't running (as it does on BXs and very early Xantias).

But to shut smartly and positively when the engine stops, the Anti-sink Valve requires on a local reserve of pressure from the Anti-sink Sphere. So a knackered anti-sink Sphere WILL cause a non-sinker sink when parked, albeit indirectly.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Sorry Old-guy - I still have to disagree after the plavar I had with a VSX I had with anti sink...

As I said I swapped EVERYHING from a car that didn't sink, and it still dropped like a stone as soon as the engine was swapped..

What you will find with a Flat anti sink sphere is the car should still stay up with engine off, but you WILL find that when the engine is started the rear Will drop down untill the pump has built pressure up again to lift the rear..

Again, this is known from fact with my OWN TD SX with anti sink and original "anti Sink" sphere!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Old-Guy wrote: However, the rear brakes are powered from the rear suspension circuit (to provide load compensation). So at rest, the 'Anti-sink' sphere does provide a reserve of pressure to maintain ride height (for a while).
My recollection from an earlier discussion is that when the anti-sink valve is closed, the "anti-sink" sphere is connected to the brakes, but disconnected from the suspension, so it can't help the suspension stay up.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Different cars, different experiences. When I first had my 96 Sx estate, it had a habit of sometimes sinking at the rear.

Agreed, it did tend to rapidly hit the floor as soon as the engine was started and then rise back up quite quickly.

Then the N/S/R sphere blew so I replaced the whole set on the grounds that they were all original (c. 75,000 miles and 12 years). Not only did this improve the ride enormously, but it cured the intermittent sinking.

I did of course, empty the reservoir (while the system was depressurised) and then flush the brake lines. A certain amount of cr4p came out with the ancient LHM that might have been part of the problem.

Interestingly, I noticed with amazement that the dead (won't start) VSX that I'm dismantling still rose to HIGH even after a 150 mile collection trip on a trailer.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's my belief that standing (residual) pressure in the accumulator has a lot to do with whether a car sinks.

If the regulator is duff, it may be clicking off before correct pressure is reached in the storage side. As a consequence, you then lack stored fluid energy to hold the other side of your antisink valves shut against pressure fed back from the suspension corners.
rmunns

Post by rmunns »

Thx for interesting replies.

But I'm not much wiser.

My car sinks on switch-off. From the service records (one previous owner, FSH main dealer) it has had just two front spheres. But fluid is clean.

Car seems not to be carpet-ride, you do feel the bumps. Seemsto be at rear.

Rear arrangement at the anti-sink sphere is coated in grease.

Main problem is not knowing whether I have a problem or not. Too many times I've tried to improve something only to find it weren't broke in the first place!

Would someone please write how we know if it''s worth changing parts or fluid or greasing or adjusting etc.

I know this is not simple, but I think a lot of us need to know which symptoms are worth investigating.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Fluid generally looks "clean" save for the brake caliper ends which can become a little brownish yellow. Overall, though, on a Xantia fluid colour is no indicator of hydraulic health.

You need to have all spheres pressure tested. There is no other test which accurately quantifies their condition.

Make sure you are not confusing "sinks at switch off" with "returns to normal height after exiting vehicle". To be more certain of rapid sinking, switch off the car and remain inside for several minutes, to see if it sinks. To check slow sinking, measure wheelarch heights a minute after exiting, and then several hours later.

Should the accumulator sphere be dead flat or near this point, I suggest having the pressure regulator and pump independently checked.