Resetting Eyolis level usung Lexia after refilling tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

Resetting Eyolis level usung Lexia after refilling tank

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

I need to fefill the eyolis tank on my C5 Mk2 (06 reg).

I have previously refilled a Mk1 but this had a float level detector and resetting the ECU was not necessary (unless you let it run down to alarm level!).

I have a lexia3 but am unclear on the process for resetting the level in the ECU.

Also from a quick look using the lexia it is not clear what the "units" are and how many "units" a litre of eyolis refill is worth.

Anu advice/help/experience welcomed.

Regards

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont know the answer to your question, but are you sure your car has eyolis fluid,

as i know there is two diferent fluids between early and later C5's,

not sure when they changed from one to the other,

but im pritty sure you must not mix the two,

regards malcolm
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I think the change can be tracked down by RPO number, but memory says its around the series 1-2 changeover. I'm sure a google search will throw up the actual change point.

Early fluid was DPX 42 and later was 176 (or similar....) - and no, dont mix the two.

I dont know what the units are either! I seem to recall setting mine to 0, but it was a while ago I reset my ECU!
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

your local dealer should be able to tell you for sure which fluid your car use's, i you just give them the last 8 digit's of you chassis No.,

or even post it on here and i will try to see on service citroen

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

A mk2 definitely uses the 176 fluid. It changed from DPX 42 around late 2002/early 2003.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

Iam well aware of the difference between DPX42 which I use for my Mk1 2.2 C5 and the Eyolis 176 which my 2.0 16v C5 uses (and which I have).

I am looking to for advice from someone who has reset the contents registers in the FAP ECU using a lexia3.

I have looked at the appropriate screens via my lexia and it looks as though you reset the counter(s) to zero. This seems a little strange as yoiu may wish to put in 1, 2 or 3 litres of fluid and also setting to zero will not take account of any fluid remaining in the tank prior to refilling.

It also appears that a clean of the FAP is expected - which as the nominal refill mileage is 80k and the FAP clean/replace mileage is 120k also seems a little strange !

Regards

John
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

I have just got the dreaded message that fluid is at the min level, so have just purchased the topup kit from Citroen. ( £117 for 4.5 litr, small empty bottle and hose) Next step is to put it in! Fred, I have the mk1 model (52 plate 2.2) where is the hole on the tank to top it up, the parts person said its a bugger to top up, another site said there is a bung on the side of the tank that is topped up from there, any idea's?
Reason i'm doing this myself local dealer quoted £270 incl

Next step is to talk nicely to another member with a Lexia to reset the thing.
Was told by a French Citroen mechenic its reset to zero.

Cheers

Steve
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

You may not need to reset your ECU. I do not with my late 51 plate 2.2 as it has a float switch level detector . However, I filled up before the error message came up. In your case the message may reset or may not. I have also heard of mk1 FAP ECU where even with a lexia the dealer could not reset it and a new ECU was needed.

The tank is filled by splitting the quick connector on one of the two pipes (about 15mm dia ) that run fron the tank at its side.

The kit you have has a cap with a tap on it that fite the 5l container with the eyolis in it and this tap has a clear plastic pipe with a quick connector on its end. Note there is an in line jointing connector in this quick fit connector that I had to remove before connecting to the filling pipe- must be some applcations that need it but not I believe the C5.

To fill you :-

1. Jack up and secure car to give improved access underneath by the passenger side rear door. Reomove the aluminium tank protector

2. Split line at connector and connect in the pipe from the 5l container.

3. Remove large "bung" of about 1" dia from top of tank front (similar quick release connection on bung but larger - press in sides to relese ).
This spigot from the tank is the overflow/vent connection.

4. Attach large dia plastic pipe that comes with kit to the spigot and then to the small bottle, put the bottle in thec net provided and hang off a suitable body/suspension part to support it. This bottle acts as the overflow trap to collect any eyolis overflow. Indicates when tank is full.

5. Make sure car is level

6. Raise up the 5l container, invert it and open the cap valve. Eyolis should now flow into tank and you will see overflow into catch bottle when tank is full.

NOTE : I have always had small leakage from the cap valve when it is open and container inverted !! So be careful where you put the container and how you hold it.

Also wear rubber gloves.

When tank is full re instate as the reverse of above.

Regards

John
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Fred1 or John,

Super description on how to top up the tank, even I should be able to follow it. As I have also got to do the suspension seals on a back axle i'll be under there for a while.

Cheers mate.

Steve
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

According to the Citroen "document backup" program you do reset the counter to zero with the lexia.
Which is what I recall doing with mine. I havent looked at it since to see what its doing (having had enough problems setting it and getting it to work I am leaving it well alone...)
:roll:
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Fred1, have had a look underneath car and think I have found the hoses, but not sure, the overflow I am happy with, but the hose to fill. At the side/end of the tank there is an electrical connector plus two hoses that go into the tank via a connector, the connectors look a bit low on the side would any fluid inside just flow out if I disconnected the pipe, especially after putting in a few litres of the stuff. There is a hose at the top of the tank that goes up in the wheel arch with one of those connectors, if thats related could I use that, or even the overflow hole.

If its not one thing its the other.

Steve

PS Camberley Auto's sell the particulate filter, they don't as yet want the old one back. Cost about £350 or so. Might help someone who can't exchange.
Steve

jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

I bought a new DPF filter off Ebay for about £155....I think GSF were quoting about £190. This is for a new filter not an exchange.

Note. My Eolys kit didn't have the right connectors when I filled my Tank, so I just filled through the overflow at the top of the tank. All worked well!
Jim Le Shed
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi

The filling hose is the pressure vent hose that goes to the wheel arch.

This is a rubber pipe that comes from the top of the eyols tank and has a quick release connector that connects to the metal/rigid plastic pipe that goes up the wheel arch to the pressure relief valve. You split the pipe there and connect in the pipe that comes with the filling kit.

On the mark 1 the level check/overflow collection is done via the large dia pipe at the top of the tank side (once you have removed the quick release bung).

regards

John
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Thanks fred1 all sorted topped it up, took all of the 4.5 ltrs and non overflowed, wonder how much more it would take. All I have to do now is get the computer reset.

Steve
Steve

civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Ok, story continues, went round to a friend who has Lexia 2 and we tried to reset the ecu for the Eolys, things didn't go to plan, we were expecting something on the lines of changing a value to zero as mentioned on a previous post but couldn't find it. Anyone up to speed on where to look to reset this thing. Most things were related to a new particulate filter and fitting a new ecu.

Cheers

Steve
Steve