Replacing Cassy's exhaust and handbrake cables

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Replacing Cassy's exhaust and handbrake cables

Post by Xaccers »

Assuming I can get to Finmere in the morning early enough to get access to the ramps before the paintballers block them, I should be replacing Cassy's exhaust (back box and full length pipe to decat her) and hand brake cables.

I've got the clamps and new bolts for the exhaust, but how difficult is it likely to be? I've never undone the turbo end before, although Jim has when we did Cassy's head.

Similarly with the hand brake cables. Wondering if I'd be able to safely jack the car up while on the ramps, but I have a feeling they're too far apart.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The HB cables are surprisingly easy - and will be even more so with the exhaust out of the way! You will need to get the weight off the front wheels so you can get them off to fit the caliper end of the cables though.

Exhaust shouldn't be too bad on a decent set of ramps, but be careful of the bolts connecting to the turbo. You will need a lot of extensions (preferably some wobble bars) and a deep socket. Use some plus gas and go steady - see my thread last week (here) about my HDi exhaust where I took the 'easy' way out and sawed one of the bolts off - which turned out to be far from the easy option in the end :roll:
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Richard says, handbrake cables are a real doddle and even easier up on the ramp. Just make sure you note which goes where and you'll love the job!

The 1.9TD exhaust bolts are not too bad to access as I recall, certainly better than some (V6 especially). It helps to have an assistant holding a 10mm spanner on the bolt heads whilst you attack the nuts but you can do it solo if need be. Again, the job is so much easier on a ramp.

I have a specially bent 10mm ring spanner (designed for a V6) that makes the job a little better.

Take note of Richard's advice to go easy and use plenty of Plus-Gas. If you do round off a nut, all is not lost as a 3/8" ring is just under 10mm and will often go onto a rounded nut.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Jim's moded spanner it is easyer with a slightly cranked 10mm spanner, then it gets right into the recess and fully onto the bolt head,

you will certainly notice the gain in get up and go after de/pussying meeeeooooooooow>>>>>>>>> :devil:

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

ok bolts were doddle, messy though.
how do i get the pipe out?
can i remove the cross bar at the back?

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:ok bolts were doddle, messy though.
how do i get the pipe out?
can i remove the cross bar at the back?
Yes you can. Same remarks apply about taking it easy with those bolts. They can corrode into the subframe.

Pleased the exhaust bolts did not put up a fight :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

exellent, pipe is off and i managed not to slice myself with the rusty end.
back box looks undamaged so won't change yet.

which is the longer cable and do i just pop off the star clip and reach under the heat shield?

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: which is the longer cable and do i just pop off the star clip and reach under the heat shield?
I think the longer cable goes to the O/S caliper. Not 100% sure but it seems logical.. Lay the cables out beside each other. Do note which one goes into the top hole in the compensator.

Yes, pop the star clip off and bend the heatshield back a tad and you'll see the compensator on the N/S side of the transmission tunnel. The cables are easy to disengage from the compensator, just flick them. Very easy to put the new ones in too; just push them in until they (sort of) find their homes.
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont just lob the old cat away, find a local scrap metal merchant who will give you dosh for it, some give more than others, they fetch more if they dont rattle and if they are OE pussy cats,

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Job done.

Cassy's engine is much cleaner. All the gunk is now on my arms!
I loath exhaust pipes!
The flange on the catless pipe was of course smaller than the bell end on the old backbox and much smaller than the new one.
Had to position the pipe by resting pliers between it and the cross bar, and position the back box by stuffing a mallet on top.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :D Did you find the handbrake cables nice and easy?

So, we now have a nice clean engine to work on next weekend then? Great stuff!
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent :D Did you find the handbrake cables nice and easy?

So, we now have a nice clean engine to work on next weekend then? Great stuff!
They were a PITA to be honest. Got my finger tips stuck several times.

Really do need to find somewhere to steam clean the engine fully.
Also need to get new tyres on the front as while they look just about ok from the ouside, actually taking them off showed the inner edge of each tyre is extremely worn!

DIY sphere tool