Xantia radio dead

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Xantia radio dead

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Hi guys

The radio in my car is something of a mystery to me :evil:

It appears as if the radio is just turned off but when i go to turn it on the Red code light flashes,after many times of pressing the on button the radio might eventually come on but the digital writing on the actual screen will be very light and then might turn off again as if something has tripped it out :roll:

This has been happening for the last 2 years or so but it hasnt happened so much recently

Anyone shed some light on what this could be? :-k
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm only guessing but is sounds as if it's not getting enough power (or there's a short/open circuit somewhere inside) so I would be inclined to check the connectors in the back are firmly inserted and that the fuses are good.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The part of the circuit that the on/off switch operates in quite complex. Not only does it send a signal to power up the wireless itself but it has to reset the processor and initialse the data busses and devices attached to it. I studied it one day because I have a 4040 that comes on at full volume but is otherwise fine. One of those on full chat is painfully loud :lol:

There's a few likely suspect electrolytics in the circuit and these could be the cause of the problem. The bigger problem is getting at them. The wireless is hard to dismantle and everything is surface-mount and well beyond my abilities to fix....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

.. and even more so beyond my abilities Jim :cry:

Just another thing that will have to wait i suppose :roll:

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o