shell fuelsave diesel? anyone used this in a citroen diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

veralum
My Cars:

shell fuelsave diesel? anyone used this in a citroen diesel?

Post by veralum »

if so any difference? says can save up to a litre a tankful
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I will be filling up with it tomorrow, I don't expect there to be any difference, V-Power never seems to make a difference.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have been running diesels for the last 30 years or more and have never noticed any difference between fuels.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

saving "up to a litre per tankfull" seems like the sort of claim you make when your product doesnt do anything, pumping the tyres up[ a bit or using thinner oil, keeping the windows shut will all on their own do far more than that.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Just running my first tank full. Have I noticed a difference? No. But I will continue to use it because the Shell garage I use is the cheapest. The 1 ltr per tank claim amounts to 2%, I'm currenly averaging 56mpg so that would be another 1mpg - we will have to see. V-power made no difference but then with the extra cost I didn't give it much of a chance.

Watch this space!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Technically, it's hard to see how diesel can be made to give different results due to the chemistry of the stuff. Petrol yes, but diesel no. In a very modern one with sophisticated management perhaps but I'd not expect to see nay difference in a mechanically injected system or even a standard HDi.

On a related topic I filled my V6 up today for a run to Somerset tomorrow and accidentally filled it with BP Ultimate. I knew I would one day as they deliberately make the Ultimate nozzle look very plain so it looks like the ordinary stuff.

On a tankful of that I do expect to see a difference on a big petrol as it can run more advance but as there is no equivalent of an octane rating on a diesel (cetane is not the same at all) then it is hard to see what the management can adjust to enhance economy.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm running it, but then the Shell garage is at the end of the road, and it is cheapest! Not had a full tank through yet, so no idea whether it's any different or not.
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

On a related topic I filled my V6 up today for a run to Somerset tomorrow and accidentally filled it with BP Ultimate. I knew I would one day as they deliberately make the Ultimate nozzle look very plain so it looks like the ordinary stuff.
I did that with the Accord.
That car was notorious for only ever doing 32MPG under any conditions and circumstances.
Except with BP Ultimate.
First tankful was a bit better, about 36 MPG, Next was much worse, about 25MPG.
Same run (to Whitby), same petrol station (Guisborough), same load in the car (me only) and all other variables exactly the same.
Never used that again.

Oddly enough, the C5 also does 32 MPG normally. Can be varied a bit but not by using different fuel types.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

What you encounter along the road will have a far greater effect on your fuel consumption, every time you slow down and accelerate you will use more fuel, a steady speed and light throttle will give best results, every time you stop and have to wait it knocks the consumption as does rapid acceleration.

Peter
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

As Peter N. says, what you encounter along the way will have a far greater effect than a small increase due to the fuel quality.

IMHO, the producer refinery can affect the fuel consumption on a diesel in a number of ways:
- by increasing the calorific value of the fuel to produce slightly more power for the same fuel burnt so less throttle is needed for a given speed/load/acceleration,
- by juggling the fuel chemistry so that the fuel burns more efficiently,
- or both.

I'm sure that Shell have conclusive test data to prove the advertising claim - otherwise Trading Standards would be down on them like a ton (sorry tonne) of bricks!

Like others, I buy Shell from our local garage because it's as cheap or cheaper than the Pace alternative and I've encountered the typical problems (and increased maintenance costs) from using 'supermarket' fuels.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Peter.N. wrote:What you encounter along the road will have a far greater effect on your fuel consumption, every time you slow down and accelerate you will use more fuel, a steady speed and light throttle will give best results, every time you stop and have to wait it knocks the consumption as does rapid acceleration.

Peter
This is true and easily demonstrated with any normal car but did not apply in any significant degree with that Accord.
I drove it like a granny for the first few weeks until I discovered how to make the damned thing go.

Long trips, short trips. Stop-go, 100 mile cruise, drive at 50mph in textbook fuel-miser mode or boot the thing along at >120mph, all the same.
It may have been called Christine :evil:
amjake

Post by amjake »

I am now on my third tankful of diesel in two weeks!

I fill each week brim to brim do over 600 miles, first tankful the initial fill and tonight was my third tankful, by my reckoning Shell owe me 2 litres plus, why?

Results no change in consumption, still 44mpg and any noticable power/response difference? No!

Still happy to use the new Shell fuel but only concern would be if it went the same way as Formula Shell did or if the price is ramped up!!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive been using it for the past week or so since it has arrived at the local shell garage. I cant say ive noticed a difference but ive not been keeping tabs on MPG in the C5 very much lately. I cant say that it feels any different to drive.

I always use Shell, sometimes BP if i can't find a Shell but i never use anything else. So ill be using this new Shell Fuelsave fuel anyway.

I dont agree that fuel is fuel, they differ, and thats why i stick to the top brands.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I always used to use Sainsbury's as the Nectar points paid for my Christmas shopping. It was cheap and close by too.

Never had any problems with it but my eldest son, who at the time was driving a Mitsubishi Colt Sport that was very lively, swore by Sainsbury's and claimed that anything else reduced the performance and the economy, sometimes drastically.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I buy whatever is cheapest :D